'fossil Hunter' Fell From Cliff

Seldom

'Fossil hunter' fell from cliff

A man whose body was found at the foot of a cliff on the Isle of Skye after a passenger on a pleasure boat saw somebody falling has been named.

Police said Axel Weisskopf, 59, was from Darmstadt in Germany. It was believed he was hunting for fossils.

He was seen falling as the boat was approaching Portree last Thursday.

Mr Weisskopf's body was later found at Tom's Cave at the foot of Ben Tianavaig. Police said a report would be submitted to the procurator fiscal.

Skye is highly regarded among palaeontologists and amateur fossil hunters for its prehistoric animal remains.

Dinosaur footprints and the earliest turtles known to live in water have been discovered on the island.

From the BBC News

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Guest solius symbiosus

^^Sage advice. Though, some of us live in areas where there is little interest in paleontology, so we have to hunt alone.

True story. I have collected inverts for nearly 30 years... always solo. Then, last summer I had the opportunity to collect with a fellow member. Long story short, that is when I received a rather nasty wound that still hasn't healed.

Remember folks, anecdotes are merely the meaningless observations of one person.

so what you are saying is that it was my fault and when you hunt with me bad things are going to happen?? (wink wink) ;)

brock

(how is the leg doing anyways?)

What a shame, its a grim reminder for all of us. Be careful out there!!!!

Says the guy who was photographed recently while reaching precariously down from the rim of a particularly impressive sea cliff... :P

In a free-fall like that, I might prefer not to have someone I know see me disgrace myself as I scream like a little girl all the way down.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You mean Batman Nicholas

untitled_0o8ujij.bmp

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Guest solius symbiosus
so what you are saying is that it was my fault and when you hunt with me bad things are going to happen?? (wink wink) ;)

brock

(how is the leg doing anyways?)

It is slowly healing. I was hoping for the end of summer back in the spring, now... surely, by X-mas. I'll give an update, in that thread, on the anniversary of the accident.

It is slowly healing. I was hoping for the end of summer back in the spring, now... surely, by X-mas. I'll give an update, in that thread, on the anniversary of the accident.

Glad to hear that it is healing.