Miocene fossil?

Clueless Biochemist

Hello all:

I'm sorry to be one of "those" newbies but I was fossil hunting today and I have absolutely no idea what, if anything, I've found. I pulled it out of a chunk of clay at the Calvert Cliffs State Park, so I guess this is from the Miocene. It's pretty hard but came out in two pieces (see pictures). It caught my eye because it's so perfectly round...

It's probably something obvious to you experts but I don't have a clue. I tries image searching but nothing looks right...

Thanks so much for your time and ideas!

31Mar2018 159.JPG

31Mar2018 160.JPG

31Mar2018 162.JPG

31Mar2018 164.JPG

31Mar2018 165.JPG

Interesting looking, but an ironstone concretion, one suspects.

And a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I agree with Tidgy’s dad iron concretion . I would have taken it home too as it is a very cool looking rock keep looking at the ground you never know. 

Welcome to  TFF from Leicestershire uk

• I found this Informative 2

It's conceivable that it's a trace fossil. The shape would make a fair anemone resting trace, but the odds do strongly favor it being a common concretion.  

Hello from central Maryland! No such things as one of “those” newbies (well except those who are convinced they have a dinosaur egg despite every indication otherwise), learning is a big part of the forum. As stated, it’s an iron concretion, purty common there. From one Maryland hunter to another, Calvert cliffs state park is pretty horrid for fossil hunting. Get to bay front park, free this time of year. You will find many more and cooler teeth ;)

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks so much everyone! This is why you ask the experts. :)

And yes, Bobby Rico, I still think it's a cool rock. ;) 

Thanks so much for the tip WhodamanHD - I did find some pretty impressive teeth (well, OK, I'm a newbie, they all seem impressive at this point, but they seemed big to me!) at Calvert Cliffs State Park, but I'll have to try Bayfront next!

Thanks again - I look forward to learning from you all.