Happy Easter

Malone

It's probably already been thought of, but I thought it would cool to hide fossils for the kids. 

• I found this Informative 1

Happy Easter, Malone.:)

It would be better to hide the kids until the fossils find them. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I thought it would be a good way to foster their interest, the first gift of life that keeps on giving! 

23 minutes ago, caldigger said:

These look more to be granitic rock, not Jasper.

Yeah they have many names to many people. The most precise term has yet to be tested at least on these. I was just thinking about something I thought would good for the kids. I just said jasper because it's a more encompassing term. Jasper is supposed to mean speckled rock. I am sure there's several different forms of rock that would fall in that category. They usually name jasper from the location because the term is so broad.

IMG_4231.JPG

Happy Easter

Courtsey of Pete Larsen he tweeted "thought it might be nice to demonstrate that the Easter Bunny and colored Easter Eggs have been a tradition for 35 Million Years. Here we see Paleolagus haydeni "hare" and some unidentified bird eggs from the Oligocene Brûlée Formation of WY, SD, and NB.

DZkDU5NW0AAs_xz.thumb.jpeg.fd9d280833c0e03ccab884da4318a494.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Yeah this is when all the fresh eggs are available, used to be. Now you don't have to hunt for them, you can hunt them down at most any grocery store.  It's a neat tradition though. And a celebration of life.

Happy Easter. ;) 

monstah_monday_280_web1.jpg     unnamed.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

13 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Happy Easter. ;) 

monstah_monday_280_web1.jpg     unnamed.jpg

I think the one top is looking at the one the bottom. Scary smile lol

And happy April Fool's Day to the non-Christians among us.  

It is a very rare holiday today... Easter Fool's Day...take that for what it is worth.  (College entrance essays may be written on this topic.)  

36 minutes ago, jpc said:

It is a very rare holiday today... Easter Fool's Day...take that for what it is worth.  (College entrance essays may be written on this topic.)  

Tell the kids there's an Easter egg hunt and don't hide any eggs.  Happy April Fools / Easter! 

2 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

Tell the kids there's an Easter egg hunt and don't hide any eggs.  Happy April Fools / Easter! 

You might be surprised what they come back with 

2 hours ago, jpc said:

I think the two don't mix for a reason 

Happy easter to all.

@Malone

Although jasper can be "speckled" that does not mean any speckled rock is a jasper.

From wiki....
Jasper, an aggregate of microgranular quartz and/or chalcedony and other mineral phases,[1][2] is an opaque,[3] impure variety of silica, usually red, yellow, brown or green in color; and rarely blue. The common red color is due to iron(III) inclusions. The mineral aggregate breaks with a smooth surface and is used for ornamentation or as a gemstone. It can be highly polished and is used for vases, seals, and snuff boxes. The specific gravity of jasper is typically 2.5 to 2.9.[4] A green variety with red spots, known as heliotrope (bloodstone), is one of the traditional birthstones for March. Jaspilite is a banded iron formation rock that often has distinctive bands of jasper.

The pieces You posted above are granitic rock that has been tumbled (in a creek) to obtain the egg like shape.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.