Miocene_Mason

My best hunt to date:

After family events, I had some time to go hunting today (easter), the first warm time I’ve had to hunt when I actually knew what I was doing. The tide was not ideal, but not dangerous. As I walked down the beach, many where there Hunting. I correctly assumed that these were mostly normal beach goers, and I was down south alone with few fresh footprints. I walked the whole length, it took about an hour forty to the end and back. As I walked, I found a nice common thresher and I cracked a grin. I found another and that kept the smile. I then found a complete cow shark tooth and was rather chuffed, and then BANG! MEG! My first after half a year of hunting the cliffs. It’s worn and has been stress fractures, most would not hold it in high esteem but being my first I was ecstatic! This meg will always hold a special place in my heart. I said a quick prayer and continued forth not caring if I found anything else, my trip had already been made. Then I found some decent White sharks, which I have for some reason been missing. Some nice hemis hopped into my view as well. Eventually I decided it was time to go back. On the way back I noticed someone had put a block of a hard clay (actually more of a limestone I think) on a small boulder. I took a look and saw there was a chunk of bone in it! This was a little over 1.75 miles from the entrance, so someone must have picked it up, realized it wasn’t worth the trouble and left it. I’m not so easily detered. So I carried this ungainly 20 pound mass ( I’m in the tennis team so you can infer my strength) the almost two miles through the highish tide which concealed under water boulders. Perhaps stupid, but worth it. I felt pride from the strange looks I got from the beach goers, perhaps they thought I had found something important. Any way I’m going to photograph everything tomorrow but here’s what I have now, enjoy.

4A3B3DA6-1719-485C-9681-EC4F1D718A8C.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Above is chunk, more or less in situ

below is Fragalodon, I am relatively sure as it has a burlette (though it’s been worn off)

795F8864-166D-493B-9BFE-21B49D463363.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1D9F3547-1CE8-4351-811F-66F019FCF518.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Well played, sir! 

Ace! 

happy you found your first Meg and the other stuff sounds good too! :yay-smiley-1:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

41 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Well played, sir! 

Ace! 

happy you found your first Meg and the other stuff sounds good too! :yay-smiley-1:

Thanks Adam! I must say, your new hat looks nice:dinothumb:

Happy hunting,

Mason

Okay everybody I lied about waiting for good lighting tomorrow, you’ll get bad ones today:D

The Union Mills notepad (subtle product placement for where I’m volunteering in the summer, not a sponsor:P) is around five inches tall and four inches wide.

First the teeth:

D232E69D-0E27-4408-B18E-69BB88021002.jpeg

D9386101-01A8-42AC-B5C3-2FB371B58EB3.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Odds and ends and osteoderms and ray plates and Ecphora bits and bones 

80BCE0A2-D4A8-4252-BB87-CCFC4EC77546.jpeg

032B0E47-A60A-43E7-A8A0-BEAE09C60E48.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

My big chunko to practice prep on:

56E952BE-87E6-4694-B370-7A635413C146.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Congratulations Mason! You did well. That cowshark alone would have made my day. That root is one of the most intact cowshark that I have seen from there.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

04E0C0DC-E625-40B4-B71D-64F575DBED96.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Ya OK, the teeth are alright, but we want to know more about the historic Mills Homestead! Lol

Your firsts will always be special to you, no matter what condition they are in. My first Meg, hastalis, Hemi, Great White, none of which were perfect. However, they were my first find of them and I'll always keep them dear.

Wow kid, I just saw your hoard.  Did you leave any for the rest of the world?!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

11 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Thanks Adam! I must say, your new hat looks nice:dinothumb:

It's not a hat, it's my new toupee.

Well done, a great lot of finds! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 minute ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

It's not a hat, it's my new toupee.

Well done, a great lot of finds! :)

Well then, I think you need a haircut.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

11 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

My big chunko to practice prep on:

56E952BE-87E6-4694-B370-7A635413C146.jpeg

You'll have to show us your finished prep on this Blob-O-Bone.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

A nice collection of teeth there! I would be excited too.

Which is the meg, for a newb.:blush: And that cow shark is BEAUTIFUL (and the hemis and the mako??)

27 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Congratulations Mason! You did well. That cowshark alone would have made my day. That root is one of the most intact cowshark that I have seen from there.

Thanks! I’m fortunate to have two from the site, this ones got a a bit of wear but less than my other, close up:

ED1309C0-938C-419A-8691-47C2A161CFD3.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

31 minutes ago, Andy B said:

A nice collection of teeth there! I would be excited too.

Which is the meg, for a newb.:blush: And that cow shark is BEAUTIFUL (and the hemis and the mako??)

Thanks, The one in my fingers:)

89397DB7-6B7F-48A9-BB81-3A2BFA34B6A5.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

That was me that put that chunk of concretion w/bone on the clay boulder.  It was embedded in the sand and I pried it out for closer inspection.  I have stuff like this so decided to leave it for someone else to enjoy.  Glad you picked it up and like it.

Daryl.

That cow is looking fine! Have yet to find one myself (:envy:). Well, I still have my 2 3/4" Meg (profile pic related).

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

51 minutes ago, caldigger said:

You'll have to show us your finished prep on this Blob-O-Bone.

Probably won’t be too amazing but I certainly will.

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

Ya OK, the teeth are alright, but we want to know more about the historic Mills Homestead! Lol

Your firsts will always be special to you, no matter what condition they are in. My first Meg, hastalis, Hemi, Great White, none of which were perfect. However, they were my first find of them and I'll always keep them dear.

Wow kid, I just saw your hoard.  Did you leave any for the rest of the world?!

I could talk about the last 222 years or so of The Shriver Family household but I think this may not be the place, if you take the tour though you can hear all about it and see all the artifacts:D

I only took a small portion of the things I saw, I think there’s plenty for everyone else (not to mention I probably step over 10 megs every time w/o knowing). Your first meg must have hard to find, much rarer at STH!

Happy hunting,

Mason

17 minutes ago, cowsharks said:

That was me that put that chunk of concretion w/bone on the clay boulder.  It was embedded in the sand and I pried it out for closer inspection.  I have stuff like this so decided to leave it for someone else to enjoy.  Glad you picked it up and like it.

Daryl.

Thanks Daryl! Figured something like that happened, unless some freakishly strong wave came by:P

It is much appreciated,

Mason

Happy hunting,

Mason

10 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

That cow is looking fine! Have yet to find one myself (:envy:). Well, I still have my 2 3/4" Meg (profile pic related).

I’ve been lucky with the cows for some reason, that nice white meg you got is rather nice as well (:envy: right back at you).

Happy hunting,

Mason

Just now, WhodamanHD said:

I’ve been lucky with the cows for some reason, that nice white meg you got is rather nice as well (:envy: right back at you).

It's a creme Meg. Whites are more like the Bone Valley shade:

gallery_10857_2001_49829.thumb.jpg.0dc9a7ee9f693f98d9099a388e6fe3ee.jpg

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.