Tooth, claw or random bit of flint? - Kent, UK

Joe De

Found whilst digging for clay pipes, my son is very keen for this this to be a tooth. It's around 5cm in length. As far as I'm aware this bit of Kent was Cretaceous/palaeogene. Any help IDing would be great. I'm assuming it's just an interesting shaped bit of flint, but the ridges on the thin edge have him hopeful it's more exciting (and our previous finds have often not been quite as interesting as we'd hoped) I only have these photos for now, but should they not be good enough, I'll take some better lit close ups in a few days... thanks for your help!

IMG_4445.JPG

IMG_4446.JPG

IMG_4448.JPG

Hi and welcome to the TFF.

if you can take a couple more pictures in daylight it will help. Or I can lighten them for you but not as good as daylight 

Thank you, I'm sorry the pictures are far from great. I'm away from my camera AND in a badly lit room! I'll try again, when there's some daylight...

With these pictures I would say flint nodule. There is a continuous dark core in it.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

We could use a straight-on side view shot of that.  In general for identification purposes straight-on views of front, back, side, top, and bottom are best especially for fossils.

Like your son I would certainly be hopeful. 

it's interesting, but can't tell from these pictures. :) 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

16 minutes ago, Joe De said:

Thank you folks, I'll be back with better photos in 12 hours!

Great that will be some help and if you follow  siteseer advice that will really help to. Btw did you find any clay pipes they  are cool objects.

I have more photos. What do you think? Sadly it looks, to my untrained eye, just to be flint... but we'll still add it to the collection of curios. 

13 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Great that will be some help and if you follow  siteseer advice that will really help to. Btw did you find any clay pipes they  are cool objects.

We found loads, not the elusive complete specimen... but there's always today!

IMG_4459.JPG

IMG_4460.JPG

IMG_4461.JPG

IMG_4462.JPG

IMG_4463.JPG

IMG_4464.JPG

IMG_4465.JPG

The crust and the dark core give it away, it is flint, but an interesting shape.

Definitely flint nodule. Nice one! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Sorry it is flint but keep your eyes open when your digging for clays, you maybe lucky next time. Also there is an section on the forum for artefacts I think? It would be nice to see some of your finds.

All the best bobby