ID Help: negative impression of plant stem? Something else?

smokeyjoe

This "river rock" came from a bag purchased at a home center in Illinois so the place it was originally found is unknowable. Can someone help me identify this, please?

It is a cylindrical impression of something with rings. In my mind's eye I'm seeing a plant stem or reed of some sort buried in mud near a stream or pond, but I'm virtually clueless about these things and would appreciate it is a more knowledgeable kind soul would offer a more informed opinion! Is it plant? Animal? Insect?

Approximate age?

Thank you!

Fossil 1-1.jpg

Fossil 1-3.jpg

If it's cylindrical in shape with a non-spiralling character, it might be a crinoid stem imprint (external mold of a crinoid pluricolumnal).

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

This crinoid is in a limestone of probably Paleozoic age, so between 450 and 250 million years old. Without a proper location, little other than that could be deduced about age.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

What the others said. 

Quite a pretty piece. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Crinoid stem mold. 

The stem was composed of a softer mineral, that weathered out, leaving the impression behind. 

IMAGES

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks everybody!

I occasionally visit other non-fossil related forums but none approach this one in terms of the friendliness and speed of response offered by forum members!

This particular fossil, along with a handful of other's I've acquired over the past few years, will become a gift to my granddaughter who has shown an interest in fossils. Now I can also pass along the info you've provided and that is what will make the gift meaningful!  :)

Best,

Joe

Thanks for the props--that's what we aim for in keeping this forum friendly and active.

Also, thanks for inspiring the younger generation who have shown an interest in fossils. It's nice to see that some in the following generations are interested in something more than their devices. :)

Don't know where in the great state of Illinois you are located but if you are anywhere the greater Chicago area (or near enough to make a trip there), I recommend making a trip to Mazon Creek with your granddaughter. Search this forum for the term "mazon creek" and you will find plenty of information about the siderite nodules that can be found in the area, some of which contain fossil plants (and animals) from the Carboniferous Period (approximately 309 million years ago for the Francis Creek Shale).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazon_Creek_fossil_beds

https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/Parks/Pages/Mazonia-Braidwood.aspx

The Mazonia-Braidwood Wildlife Area is a well-known area to hunt for these nodules. Lots of information in this forum as well as other sources online. If you read posts on TFF about Mazon Creek you'll soon spot those members who visit it a lot and post their adventures here. You might try contacting them by PM for some further information which might make a trip there productive.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

8 hours ago, smokeyjoe said:

Thanks everybody!

I occasionally visit other non-fossil related forums but none approach this one in terms of the friendliness and speed of response offered by forum members!

This particular fossil, along with a handful of other's I've acquired over the past few years, will become a gift to my granddaughter who has shown an interest in fossils. Now I can also pass along the info you've provided and that is what will make the gift meaningful!  :)

Best,

Joe

Hi Joe!

I was just wondering how old your granddaughter is... (my daughter is very interested in fossils, too - she's 7 1/2)

Welcome to the forum!

Monica

I have two ideas about this fossil negative:

#1: It's a crinoid stem imprint

#2: It's a very, very small straight-shelled Cephalopod fossil from either Ohio / Indiana. I find tons of them!

I just wanted to add another potential fossil to this ever-growing list with #2.
Keep it! Maybe you can make a mold at some point :dinothumb:

Edited by Little_Hammer_Man

If it's a straight cephalopod imprint, it should have a conicity, so it can't be cylindrical as it was said. :)

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

10 hours ago, abyssunder said:

If it's a straight cephalopod imprint, it should have a conicity, so it can't be cylindrical as it was said. :)

Good point!
after all, it is most likely a crinoid stem impression.

My granddaughter is 8 but sadly for me she will be moving out of state this summer. :( (She'll be going to the Charlotte, NC area.)

I am in a Chicago suburb and was not aware of Mazon creek but I'm definitely going to look it up and hopefully get there with her before she moves.

I have one more fossil I'm going to ask for help with. In my opinion it is the coolest one I have, but will need your help identifying. I think you'll all find it interesting.

I'll post for help with that one in a few minutes. It's the last one I have but hopefully we can find more at Mazon Creek.

A little off the original topic but are there fossil "clubs" one can join to learn from a starting point of almost no knowledge and skill? How would one find such opportunities?

I just realized I should probably go read a sticky topic somewhere before posting this!  Sorry!

3 minutes ago, smokeyjoe said:

A little off the original topic but are there fossil "clubs" one can join to learn from a starting point of almost no knowledge and skill? How would one find such opportunities?

I just realized I should probably go read a sticky topic somewhere before posting this!  Sorry!

You should look into ESCONI.    ;)

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me