Jump to content
kirkjeremiah23

Ice age horse leg

Recommended Posts

kirkjeremiah23

 I found the leg of a prehistoric horse at a local shop. Supposedly found in Belgium. Just wanted thoughts on authenticity and rarity. Wondering if anyone had any opinions on it. Check out the pictures. Thank you

received_2079841482032844.jpeg

received_2079841378699521.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevonianDigger

Can't really contribute to the conversation of what it is, but I can tell you it's a pretty neat grab!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
caldigger

You want my opinion?  I think that leather chair looks real comfortable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevonianDigger

Bison? They've been found in the waters near Mer du Nord. (I don't know, I'm just trying out my investigative powers, I'm a noob when it comes to vertebrates, and not big on this time period to boot!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fruitbat

I think that one is a little too small for a bison.  I'd be more inclined to guess some sort of deer or sheep or goat.

 

-Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevonianDigger
7 minutes ago, Fruitbat said:

I think that one is a little too small for a bison.  I'd be more inclined to guess some sort of deer or sheep or goat.

 

-Joe

 

I'm certainly not questioning your knowledge—as I'm certain you know more about the subject than I—but for our edification could you share what diagnostic features lead you in that direction? Also, am I correct that this would be a metatarsal and phalanges? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevonianDigger
6 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

 

I'm certainly not questioning your knowledge—as I'm certain you know more about the subject than I—but for our edification could you share what diagnostic features lead you in that direction? Also, am I correct that this would be a metatarsal and phalanges? 

 

I should rephrase. Are there any diagnostic features visible, or are you just basing your call on size alone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fruitbat

Without having the specimen in hand, I'm mainly going on the basis of size...though most of the Bison third phalanges I've seen are a bit more robust than what I'm seeing in the pictures.  I'm sure there are diagnostic features to be seen but I don't claim to be any kinds of expert on artiodactyl feet.  Keep in mind that there were many types of deer, sheep, goats, antelopes, etc. (as well as bison and aurochs) found in Europe during the Pleistocene.

 

-Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevonianDigger
1 minute ago, Fruitbat said:

Without having the specimen in hand, I'm mainly going on the basis of size...though most of the Bison third phalanges I've seen are a bit more robust than what I'm seeing in the pictures.  I'm sure there are diagnostic features to be seen but I don't claim to be any kinds of expert on artiodactyl feet.  Keep in mind that there were many types of deer, sheep, goats, antelopes, etc. (as well as bison and aurochs) found in Europe during the Pleistocene.

 

-Joe

 

Thanks, Joe! I was just curious. Not sure why I picked this one to finally try and learn about, but I did! Figured it would be a good excuse to ask some questions and get some answers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fruitbat

That's what we're here for...right, Jay?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Laditz

I'm with Bovid. The bones look too fat for any kind of deer found in these deposits, those have slender, longer bones.

 

If this is truly Ice Age, it probably came from the North Sea deposits off the coast of Belgium. Most likely a fishing boat drag them up in their nets, but these bones do show up on shorelines that have been reinforced with sand from these older deposits.

 

If it is Bovid, it could be normal cow, but the North Sea deposits also contain the bones of Aurochs and Wisents (Bison).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LordTrilobite

The colouration is consistent with fossils from the North Sea. It holds fossils from the pleistocene and holocene.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevonianDigger

Yay! I'm not totally delusional! My research had pointed me toward bison from the North Sea near Mer du Nord, Belgium. Even if it's not a bison, I'll take this as a win considering people seem to agree with the location. (Not that there are exactly a ton of places to find pleistocene materials in Belgium to choose from. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×