Devonian bivalve

Rockwood

Found in Maine glacial drift. Most likely Pragian - Emsian aged. 

Bivalve ?

Anything distinctive enough to say more ?

IMG_4590a.jpg

IMG_4588a.jpg

Any chance it could be Thyasira ? The bivalve with a long foot thought have been used for pumping hydrogen sulfide to it's symbionts.

[He asks almost as if he had found the associated trace.] :)

Fantastic shell!

Sorry to only bring a destructive ID, but it won't be a Thyasira. This genus only appeared in the Cretaceous, so too young for Devonian sediments. 

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

I'm thinking of a Palaeoneilo sp. .

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

24 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

I don't see it on the lists of known finds in the most likely formations, but it could be (?) that they have never been found in close enough association with a formation to be listed. Rocks are seldom exposed well enough for extensive collection from them. 

You probably know it better than me, but it is listed in this virtual tour of fossils in Maine. There are also others. I can't see through the covering sediment. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, abyssunder said:

I found a plate  (USGS 1916) showing fossils from the Chapman sandstone, Devonian, northern Maine. Paleoneilo mainensis looks very similar. They appear to show a similar diagenetic deformation as well.

:)

Thomas Mann

My Library

@abyssunder great ID, well done sir :dinothumb: 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils