What was the best fossil deal which got away from you?

-Andy-

So, we've had a "What was the best fossil deal you made" thread. Let's have the opposite!

What was the best fossil deal you missed because you were slow, indecisive, ran outta cash, or made a wrong choice?

For me, it was a string of 5 associated Camarasaurus verts with stand provided for a shocking 1,500 USD. I hesitated for far too long. By the time I made the choice to buy it, it was gone.

• I found this Informative 5

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I had an ideal fish nodule from Brazil's Santana Formation on the hook for a win. This thing was positioned so perfect with fins and fine details.

Of course like an idiot, I waited till the last minute to bid. Just when I was pulling the plug to lay down the winning bid my phone suddenly acted up and couldn't get a signal, even though it was doing just fine before.

The winner walked away with a trophy fossil fish for only $24!

I sure hope they know what kind of an unbelivable deal they got.  Keep kicking myself for not putting in the bid sooner. Agh!!!!

• I found this Informative 4

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Hmm... An interesting topic, cool to see what shows up here.

The best deal that got away from me was a complete, free standing, perfect condition and completely prepared Ceratarges. The only way to get it was to go to Paris and collect in person. I forgot about it and it ended at 35 euros, really a shame and I doubt I will ever find one as beautiful and as reasonable as that one.

• I found this Informative 2

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

Ok this is my heartbreak story . I missed an embryo keichousaurus really nice condition or curled up and you could see the shape of the egg sack . sadly I did not have the money at the time and it sold for only £40 . The one that got away. :( 

• I found this Informative 2

Not a huge regret, but some cool Cretaceous micro from the Aguja FM. Would have been cool to look through, but this was a while ago so my fossil budget was very close to zero. Worst part was, it was up for sale for a few months then abruptly ended, never to be put up again. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

There was an auction once with the usual dinosaur stuff and amazing pieces worth 1000's of dollars. I wanted to bid on two of them.  The first, a Denversaurus schlessmani tooth, which I got. The second, a beautifel, complete Rapetosaurus tooth. I ran out of cash because I was only 14 by the time. It left for 137 USD. It still haunts me in my sleep...

A stunning Hyaenodon skull. As l recall it was earmarked for someone else but, as they were temporarily hesitant, I could have purchased it. It has always haunted me. Ah well. 

Too many to tell. Here's the first two that come to mind.

About 30 or so inches of a Triceratops (I cross-checked it against other possible large hell creek ribs) rib with head, including photo of it being excavated in situ in Montana. Not the most mega rare piece but it was a good looking, unmistakably identifiable dino bone of good big 'this is a dinosaur!' size. $100

A complete ichthyodectid fish of about 23 inches length (possibly Cladocyclus?) misidentified as Goulmimichthys, exquisite preservation complete with sclerotic ring. $275

Went to rock shop in Utah, and passed up about 20 crab concretions for $8 each!!!   I wasnt into the fossil crabs yet in those days.  i still think about that.

RB

• I found this Informative 1

I can't really say I have any that got away from me, or that I regret.  I'm an Eclectic collector and I rarely "have to have" something. I Iave a broad range of fossils that I like.

Both of these together mean that I focus on finding the best deal on a number of different fossils that I like at the same time. I set my price limit and I will walk away even over $1.

Because I am so disciplined in my buying I'm able to have a much nicer and more extensive collection then I otherwise would have.

If I walk away from a deal it's usually because I found something else that I like better for the same money that was a better deal.

All that being said, I did walk away from a beautifully prepped valgus Polaris crab concretion over the difference of $25 any fossil show once. I don't remember the price but it was a really good deal but I set my limit and limit and was sticking to it.  I got an awesome deal and a handful of other fossils including a partial Mammoth rib bone Instead at the show.

3 years later I'm still looking for a prepped Crab.

A year ago there was an awesome Juvenile ichthyosaur on ebay. It was full but broke up into about 5 different bits. It ended up going for about £400. Wish i snagged it but i cheaped out.

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

Large woolly mammoth tooth, $70 ebay.  I about broke my finger clicking "buy it now."... and.... lost in the mail!

Got my money back, but no tooth to this day...

Chinese dino eggs, before the ban.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."