Quick day trip to Stratford Formation

HuntingMillers

Hit Stratford Hall Plantation today for a quick shark tooth hunt.  Teeth here dont seem to be the easy surface finds frequently, but the stretch of beach is plentiful with teeth if you go a tad below surface. The rock/shell beds above the water line seemed to be the most fruitful.  Also, my wife had great luck literally watching teeth just roll up on shore with the tide.  I will say, for those who are more into the arrowheads and beautiful rocks, this is a great place to hunt for them! Also found ray teeth and possibly a 6 or 7 gill?

20180423_133130.jpg

Edited by HuntingMillers
  • I found this Informative 1

You got some nice finds there. Glad you and your wife had fun!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

The wife's finds. Anyone know what the bigger more intact tooth is, in the pic by itself?

20180423_142500.jpg

More finds...not sure though what exactly each is. Bigger pieces on each end seem to be bone? The two in the middle, arrowheads? The rest may very well be nothing, but thought I would check and see.20180423_145916.thumb.jpg.d5db7dc7e0e913db6a277c28f19ae4b3.jpg

Hi,

2 hours ago, HuntingMillers said:

20180423_142545.jpg

Hemipristis (probably H. serra if Miocene).

Coco

• I found this Informative 3

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

18 hours ago, HuntingMillers said:

20180423_142545.jpg

Agree with @Coco , Hemipristis serra is the fit. Its teeth are easily distinguishable due to thick roots, particularly on lower jaw teeth like this one. 

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Hi,

HemipristIs ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

6 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi,

HemipristIs ;)

Coco

Oh wow, silly me! :blush:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Nice teeth! 

Glad you had a good family day hunting. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

22 hours ago, HuntingMillers said:

More finds...not sure though what exactly each is. Bigger pieces on each end seem to be bone? The two in the middle, arrowheads? The rest may very well be nothing, but thought I would check and see.

20180423_145916.thumb.jpg.d5db7dc7e0e913db6a277c28f19ae4b3.jpg.1b2a13b3886399e208fb197277adf2df.jpg

@HuntingMillers

Unfortunately, from the photo angle above I don't see any Native American points in your photo. If they were points they would show signs of knapping along the angled edges.

Since I'm at the location you found these 30+ days a year, let me help you out with IDs. I've numbered the items in your photo.

#1 fossilized bone shards

#2 various rocks

#3 pieces of fish vertebrae

#4 pieces of Ecphora shell (snail)

#5 Mud

#6 Either mud or ferrous (iron) concretion

FYI - the exposed stratigraphy in the area are the Calvert Formation, Choptank Formation, St. Mary's Formation and Eastover Formation of the lower, middle and upper Miocene Epoch. (The Stratford Formation is not present in this part of the US and is much older, the Pennsylvanian / Permian Boundary.)

Also, if you are interested in being able to walk the entire cliffs on a guided trip, let me know and I'll PM you the info. Guided trips are the only way you can go outside of the public roped in area without trespassing. The next public trip is June 9th.

Cheers,

SA2

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

15 minutes ago, SailingAlongToo said:

@HuntingMillers

Unfortunately, from the photo angle above I don't see any Native American points in your photo. If they were points they would show signs of knapping along the angled edges.

Since I'm at the location you found these 30+ days a year, let me help you out with IDs. I've numbered the items in your photo.

#1 fossilized bone shards

#2 various rocks

#3 pieces of fish vertebrae

#4 pieces of Ecphora shell (snail)

#5 Mud

#6 Either mud or ferrous (iron) concretion

FYI - the exposed stratigraphy in the area are the Calvert Formation, Choptank Formation, St. Mary's Formation and Eastover Formation of the lower, middle and upper Miocene Epoch. (The Stratford Formation is not present in this part of the US and is much older, the Pennsylvanian / Permian Boundary.)

Also, if you are interested in being able to walk the entire cliffs on a guided trip, let me know and I'll PM you the info. Guided trips are the only way you can go outside of the public roped in area without trespassing. The next public trip is June 9th.

Cheers,

SA2

That is amazing! Truly appreciate the help on these.  Definitely helps now to know what is worth picking up or leaving behind.  As newbs, were still working on training our eyes on what to look for. This helps tremendously!

Would love some information on the guided trips you're speaking about.  I am definitely researching the different laws, md v.s. va, where we can/cant go, etc. We met a couple out there yesterday who told us as long as you have stratford passes you can go beyond the ropes to the left (if you're facing the river), just not beyond the Westmoreland/Stratford line. This information seemed not so accurate to us...so we didnt risk it. Any insight on that SA2?

7 minutes ago, HuntingMillers said:

That is amazing! Truly appreciate the help on these.  Definitely helps now to know what is worth picking up or leaving behind.  As newbs, were still working on training our eyes on what to look for. This helps tremendously!

Would love some information on the guided trips you're speaking about.  I am definitely researching the different laws, md v.s. va, where we can/cant go, etc. We met a couple out there yesterday who told us as long as you have stratford passes you can go beyond the ropes to the left (if you're facing the river), just not beyond the Westmoreland/Stratford line. This information seemed not so accurate to us...so we didnt risk it. Any insight on that SA2?

I can tell you for a fact, the couple who told you that is flat out wrong. No one is allowed to go outside the ropes unless they are on a guided trip, or they are the actual guides who have specific permission from SH management to go along the cliffs for that particular day. The only people with blanket permission are SH's staff / employees. Even the staff Paleontologist lets them know when he is going along the cliffs, who will be with him and how long he will be out. Weekend before last I personally ran 18 trespassers off SH property / out from under the cliffs.

Don't feel bad about picking up stuff that doesn't turn out to be fossils / artifacts. The more I learn about fossils the more things I pick up that are nothing, because it just might be something cool. I definitely pick up far more triangular shaped objects now than I did when I started. We call them "leave-er-rights," as in "leave them right there." :rofl:

I'll PM you the info.

Cheers,

SA2

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World