Cast Fossil of a skull.

gregmolrocks

Hello,

I recently found an extremely suggestive rock that mirrors a skull with a round object fused to it's jaw. I took it to a geologist from University of Georgia, Dr. Garrison. He estimated that it was approximately 250 million years old. He also said that it was a cast of a creature that died in sediment. The sediment filled in the organic parts and created a cast. 

Definition of cast fossils: http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/paleo/fossilsarchive/casmol.html

I will attach some photos. 

Also, Here is the direct link to a YouTube video of it:

I really appreciate your time.

skull5.jpg

skull4.jpg

skull3.jpg

skull2.jpg

skulll1.jpg

skull8.jpg

skull7.jpg

I'm confused, are you trying to identify what species the cast would be from? (I don't personally see a cast here, and I'm not sure what features would lead someone to confirm that it was one, but I will leave that judgement to the vert. folks to weigh in on.)

• I found this Informative 1

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

It might faintly resemble a very worn cranium cast (interior of brain chamber), but faintly resemble and is are two different things. It's just not my expertise area to say which.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

gregmolrocks...

Welcome to The Fossil Forum!

Like DevonianDigger, I'm not seeing anything that would indicate that this is a fossil cast...and I'm definitely not seeing jaws, a nose or eye sockets at the places you've indicated on your picture.

I would love to know what Dr. Garrison based the diagnosis on.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

it's a suggestively shaped rock

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Welcome to the forum greg!

Unfortunately, in my perspective, I think the item in question is simply a coincidentally shaped rock. When a cast fossil is formed, it does not form simply a statue-like brittle rock similar to the statues of Pompeii victims back in the Roman Empire days.

Minerals found in the burial site elegantly replaces all preserved organic material really well, replacing every single nook and cranny. Therefore, it is able to and will preserve everything that has not decomposed before the process from exact bone material, enamel, even feathers and internal organs.

Your item in question shows no sign of bone material, but just clumps of sediment or rock. It also possesses no solid pattern and is very porous. As for what you suspect are specific skull parts, the item only resembles the parts, and the entire thing is completely asymmetrical. What you suspect as the jaw is too anatomically incorrect to be one, and the "lower jaw" part is literally part of the rest of the object.

Even if we say that this object is simply an extremely worn skull, it would still not be porous, brittle, and sediment-like as it is. Again, I unfortunately think that this is simply a coincidentally shaped rock.

But no worries, seeing that you live in Georgia, you might want to know that the state is among the greatest fossil sites for Oligocene-Miocene shark teeth, and has a ton of megalodon teeth in store! If you really want a fossil in your hands, then take a trip to Savannah River and maybe you might find an actual tooth from the largest predator to ever live! 

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

It seems to be an igneous rock with gas vesicles, perhaps a scoria.

Was it just the age of the rock that was dated to 250 million years by the geologist? 

The image of a skull you show in your example is Oligocene, so only approximately 23 to 34  million years old. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I’m not seeing anything other than a rock that is marginally suggestive of a skull. Geologic but interesting as such. 

I does bear at least some resemblance to a degraded("weathered)" endocast of Kowingasaurus 

I replied on (You Tube) about  this rock before as follows.........

It's a wok used for fwoing at wabbits.

Simplified reply: It is a specimen of rock.

Don't know you Geologist but I have to say :shrug:

If someone identified this as a cast they may have been referring to the darker round object within the rock. If this is porous limestone the darker round object may be a cast of a mollusk. Perhaps we could get Dr. Garrison to give his evaluation?

I agree that the "round object" is more likely the cast than the other part of it. :unsure: 

Did the geologist say specifically that it was a brain cast or skull cast? :headscratch:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

To me, it is a lump of tufa. It is certainly not an endocast, and it has no connection to an organism of any sort.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Okay guys. I went back and collected the host rock which has a mold impression of the specimen.

realskull2.png

realskull1.png

hostrock3.png

hostrock1.png

hostrock1.jpg

hostrock2.png

I'm still not seeing it. :( 

Sorry, but I think this isn't any kind of fossil, cast or otherwise. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Sorry gregmolrocks, this is pareidolia at work. Vaguely suggestive shapes do not evidence make.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I really think you need to get a second professional  opinion because all the very knowledgeable members of TFF that have answered your post , think it is a suggestive shaped rock. Very sorry but I agree with the rest. Thanks for sharing. :(

1 hour ago, gregmolrocks said:

Okay guys. I went back and collected the host rock which has a mold impression of the specimen.

If there is a rock with a mold impression of it, how would it also be an internal cast? Wouldn't that make it the internal cast of the rock that had the mold impression and not a skull?

:headscratch:

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

Gregmolrocks: 

why does Garrison think it might be an anomodontian "endocast"?

I agree with the others that it is slightly indistinct

22 hours ago, bone2stone said:

I replied on (You Tube) about  this rock before as follows.........

It's a wok used for fwoing at wabbits.

Simplified reply: It is a specimen of rock.

Don't know you Geologist but I have to say :shrug:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Your geologist friend may be an expert on the sedimentation process but he may know little of the fossil specimens contained therein.

Take it to a PALEONTOLOGIST.

Some of the brightest paleo minds can be found here on this forum and they have responded with sound information.

Everyone of the members, who bothered to try and help you, know a great deal more about the fossilization process than I.

Continued insistence on your part will not make your rock anything other than a rock.

We do not bully others here but we will not sugar coat the truth either.

I, on occasion, may make a joke of a situation but it is in light hearted fun only. 

Now, your posting of the host stone just goes to reinforce what the others have been trying to educate you on.

I doubt that we will waste our time replying anymore to this thread.

We have had others on here that no amount of expertise is going to make the point that:  a rock is just a rock. (Unless it is a WOK)

The only thing yours is a specimen of is, ROCK.

I do hope this will not shadow your quest for knowledge or keep you from developing a passion for fossilizing,

because the more the merrier when it comes to finding and bringing fossils to the attention of others.

Jess B

• I found this Informative 3