More real or fake shenanigans

BonuFrailman

Hey guys,

I know I’ve been overzealous with the real or fake posts but I have had this link bookmarked for a while and wanted to know if this is indeed a Premax trex tooth. All of the website’s fossils are from the Hell creek formation, this included.

1AE5A630-EEBE-4CA5-9E5C-2AA6E0F8CF85.png

89EC5059-BF23-4663-9844-8E23B37A827F.png

9BBE523E-F03B-4889-AF28-2406D6ED5A65.png

C5537C30-CE7A-498E-8447-6852A710D00A.png

089CDA30-2615-4323-86CE-A48DAC3BB452.png

I am not a expert on dino teeth by any means but there are absolutely no serrations on this tooth.  I dont believe this is a t-rex. @Troodon

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

You cannot distinguish small Pre-maxillary teeth to a specific tyrannosaurid species.  It's definitely a Tyrannosaurid most likely Nanotyrannus but could also be a juvenile Trex.  These teeth can be with or without serrations but have not seen anything that ties them to either species.

Edit...in looking at Larsens Tyrannosaurs book he points out that the premax teeth in the holotype were non deticulated

• I found this Informative 6

4 hours ago, Troodon said:

You cannot distinguish small Pre-maxillary teeth to a specific tyrannosaurid species.  It's definitely a Tyrannosaurid most likely Nanotyrannus but could also be a juvenile Trex.  These teeth can be with or without serrations but have not seen anything that ties them to either species.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't nanotyrannus dubious?

No there are two Tyrannosaurids described  in the Hell Creek although there are a few paleontologists that do not concur with that, a debate that will continue forever that its a juvenile rex.  More evidence continues to surface that supports that determination with baby T-rex skulls being discovered that look similar to adults.  Then there are skeletal differences especially with the arms are clearly demonstrate the differences.

• I found this Informative 4

Just a word of caution, I have also seen this listing and I would be careful before considering buying it if you are looking for a tooth that is specifically from T-Rex. It's advertised as a t-rex premax but I am pretty certain the seller doesn't know it's actual identification. The frustrating thing is the seller may genuinely thinks it's a trex tooth or they could be simply advertising it as a trex tooth to entice people to buy it or make more money than they would if they did not advertise it as such.

I have brought a tooth that was advertised by this exact seller as a "triceratops" tooth before later discovering from someone who is extremely knowledgeable that it could only be described as a Ceratopsian tooth because the tooth is hard to distinguish between other types of Ceratopsians in the same area that the tooth was discovered. If you want to be certain what the species of that tooth is I would personally not buy it. However, if that level of unknown and mystery in identification does not bother you as much and you just like the way the tooth looks it's an overall nice quality specimen regardless.

• I found this Informative 6

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png