Max-fossils

Hi all,

So normally, the weekend of 19-20-21 May I was gonna go with my family to Cap-Blanc-Nez (in France) with the WTKG, but unfortunately that excursion got canceled because, aside from me, only one other person applied! :( Luckily, as it is the place where my dad proposed to my mom (and therefore this area means a lot to them), and they would like to go back, we decided to go there next week (7-8-9 May)! We already booked a B&B in Wissant for the 3 nights. :D I am looking forward to it!

So, as preparation for the upcoming trip, I am turning towards the most experienced fossil collectors I know: you guys on TFF

I've never hunted in Cap-Blanc-Nez before, so I am a complete amateur as to how the hunting there works. Hopefully some of you have been there already (or been to similar locations) and can give me tips. I have the following questions:

• What equipment/tools are needed?
  • What are the best layers to find what fossils?
  • What are the most effective hunting techniques? 
  • What specific beaches/areas are the most abundant fossil-wise? (Wissant is in between Cap-Blanc-Nez and the other nearby location Cap-Griz-Nez, so if you would more recommend the latter, let me know too!)
  • What other tips do you have in general?

I will, of course, make an extensive trip report here on TFF after the hunt is done ;) 

Thanks in advance already! 

Best regards,

Max

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Hello Max,

I have hunted there a couple of times, it's a very fossil-rich location. You can find reptile remains, fish fossils, bivalves, ammonites ...

You don't need a lot of tools, A hammer and a chisel are enough for most rocks.

You can use many various techniques. You can search the tide-pools and the beach for worn out ammonites, shark and reptile teeth (rare)..., you can look in the surrounding fields for echinoids etc... , you can break rocks for fossils... They can all be rewarding.

Just don't search in the cliffs, you can get a punishment and you can loose your tools if the police caughts you. This is for your own safety, as big parts of the cliffs can come down on the beach.

Cap-Blanc-Nez is Cretaceous, Cap-Gris-Nez is Jurassic, depending on what you want to find you have to choose. Personally, I like Cap-Blanc-Nez more, as you find more.

Pay attention to the tides and good luck hunting, looking forward to see your finds and your trip report.

Greetings

Thijs

• I found this Informative 5

10 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

Hello Max,

I have hunted there a couple of times, it's a very fossil-rich location. You can find reptile remains, fish fossils, bivalves, ammonites ...

You don't need a lot of tools, A hammer and a chisel are enough for most rocks.

You can use many various techniques. You can search the tide-pools and the beach for worn out ammonites, shark and reptile teeth (rare)..., you can look in the surrounding fields for echinoids etc... , you can break rocks for fossils... They can all be rewarding.

Just don't search in the cliffs, you can get a punishment and you can loose your tools if the police caughts you. This is for your own safety, as big parts of the cliffs can come down on the beach.

Cap-Blanc-Nez is Cretaceous, Cap-Gris-Nez is Jurassic, depending on what you want to find you have to choose. Personally, I like Cap-Blanc-Nez more, as you find more.

Pay attention to the tides and good luck hunting, looking forward to see your finds and your trip report.

Greetings

Thijs

Thanks Thijs for all the info, it is duly noted!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

Can't help, but sounds like fun! 

Happy hunting, Max! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 minute ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Can't help, but sounds like fun! 

Happy hunting, Max! :)

Thanks Adam! I also suspect it will be a lot of fun :) 

Max Derème

Looks like an awesome place from the pictures, which fossils are you most looking forward to finding?

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

Just now, LiamL said:

Looks like an awesome place from the pictures, which fossils are you most looking forward to finding?

Does indeed look like a fantastic place!

I am most looking forward to the bivalves (because I am a bivalve-maniac), but my main goal is to have a wide diversity of finds, from bivalves to ammonites to reptiles, etc. What I like best about fossil hunting is to be able to get a good idea of what the environment was like back then, so finding as many different fossils as possible sure does help to make that idea clearer. :) 

Max Derème

I'll send you a PM with extra info Max, I' ve been there a few times. ^_^

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

20 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Does indeed look like a fantastic place!

I am most looking forward to the bivalves (because I am a bivalve-maniac), but my main goal is to have a wide diversity of finds, from bivalves to ammonites to reptiles, etc. What I like best about fossil hunting is to be able to get a good idea of what the environment was like back then, so finding as many different fossils as possible sure does help to make that idea clearer. :) 

Bivalves shouldn't be a problem, as they are quit common in all layers. Cap blanc nez is well-known for it's ammonites, but from my personal experiences they are not as easy to find complete as you would think. I had good luck at 'Grand'Cap Blanc Nez and 'Petit' Cap Blanc nez (where I found a 5 inch one last time), but so far no others. The clay plates have nice fossils, but then you have to a lot of luck, as they are most time covered by sand. Reptile and fish remains are veeeery rare. I never found fossils of these there, but I've heard of people finding Ichtyosaurus vertebrae and teeth there and even someone who found mosasaurus. Sharks and other fish should be possible, but they are most time very worn (as far as I know). Sponges and echinoids are not too easy to find, but shouldn't be a problem. 

Also, watch out for these. (Picture from the interenet.)

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor Exanthesis labrosus

They may not look too cool but these Exanthesis labrosus (sometimes the 'lines' are less clear) can be extremely beautifel when well prepared.

• I found this Informative 4

Well Gigantorator summed it up pretty wel.

If you find a rock with imprints or fragments of ammonites, crack them open, there is often more inside.

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

@gigantoraptor alright that's awesome, thank you!

@Manticocerasman got it, thanks a lot! 

Max Derème

Best of luck there! We will be a captive audience for the report and your lovely finds. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

On 4/29/2018 at 11:12 PM, ynot said:

Good luck on the hunt!

Looking forward to Your report.

On 5/1/2018 at 11:09 PM, Kane said:

Best of luck there! We will be a captive audience for the report and your lovely finds. :) 

Thanks a lot Tony and Kane! :fistbump:

Max Derème

On 4/29/2018 at 6:25 PM, gigantoraptor said:

Bivalves shouldn't be a problem, as they are quit common in all layers. Cap blanc nez is well-known for it's ammonites, but from my personal experiences they are not as easy to find complete as you would think. I had good luck at 'Grand'Cap Blanc Nez and 'Petit' Cap Blanc nez (where I found a 5 inch one last time), but so far no others. The clay plates have nice fossils, but then you have to a lot of luck, as they are most time covered by sand. Reptile and fish remains are veeeery rare. I never found fossils of these there, but I've heard of people finding Ichtyosaurus vertebrae and teeth there and even someone who found mosasaurus. Sharks and other fish should be possible, but they are most time very worn (as far as I know). Sponges and echinoids are not too easy to find, but shouldn't be a problem. 

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor Exanthesis labrosus

They may not look too cool but these Exanthesis labrosus (sometimes the 'lines' are less clear) can be extremely beautifel when well prepared.

I think it looks smashing! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

3 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I think it looks smashing! :)

image.png.c07e3dab4b89738205efdefbb7d71b26.png

They look even better when prepared. It's very hard and the easiest way to do it is with acid, but it's rewarding.

(Picture from the internet)

• I found this Informative 2

4 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

image.png.c07e3dab4b89738205efdefbb7d71b26.png

They look even better when prepared. It's very hard and the easiest way to do it is with acid, but it's rewarding.

(Picture from the internet)

Beautiful! :wub:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

@Max-fossils If you're more into marine reptile remains, I'd advise you to go to Cap Gris Nez (Kimmeridgian, Late Jurassic) and/or Wimeureux. Reptile material from there is more common than at Cap Blanc Nez (Cenomanian-Turonian, Late Cretaceous).

For ammonites (especially heteromorphs like Hamites and Turrilites), Cap Blanc Nez is would be the best option.

Enjoy your trip, both Caps are really nice places!

Christian.

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

51 minutes ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

@Max-fossils If you're more into marine reptile remains, I'd advise you to go to Cap Gris Nez (Kimmeridgian, Late Jurassic) and/or Wimeureux. Reptile material from there is more common than at Cap Blanc Nez (Cenomanian-Turonian, Late Cretaceous).

For ammonites (especially heteromorphs like Hamites and Turrilites), Cap Blanc Nez is would be the best option.

Enjoy your trip, both Caps are really nice places!

Christian.

Alright awesome, thanks for the tip Christian!

I'll probably go to both, because as I said we are staying there for a few days. 

Max Derème

• 3 years later...
On 4/29/2018 at 7:25 PM, gigantoraptor said:

http://www.debelemniet.nl/afbeeldingen/capblancnez8.jpg

@gigantoraptor

I'm heading to Cap Blanc Nez next week, and I was wondering, just in case the clay layers are actually exposed, how I would recognise the clay layers?

On 12/27/2021 at 3:37 PM, FossilLerp2 said:

@gigantoraptor

I'm heading to Cap Blanc Nez next week, and I was wondering, just in case the clay layers are actually exposed, how I would recognise the clay layers?

Shoot me a message on instagram @euhoplites or just look at my profile there.
The albian clay layers are blue, from dark/black blue to bright blue.