Petrified fungi

Magnus23

Just need some advice on this fungus if it is fungus I believe it's a mushroom it's hard as a rock and weighs about 40 lb any help would be great.

It won't let me put the pictures on here saying that they exceed the 3.95 megabyte anyway I can reduce it to show the photos

1 minute ago, Magnus23 said:

It won't let me put the pictures on here saying that they exceed the 3.95 megabyte anyway I can reduce it to show the photos

Welcome to TFF!

There is a picture size limit for each posting. Sometimes refreshing the page is needed to upload additional pictures.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

This reminds me of tree root burl.  

• I found this Informative 4

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

I think limestone with a bit of iron staining and some shell fragments. 

Fossil fungi, except for spores, are extremely rare.

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Yeah I don't think it's limestone cuz it was falling off the tree and I helped it I was thinking it was those big white mushrooms that grow on trees it was found up north in Massachusetts just wondered why it was so heavy.

It came off a tree

:headscratch:Why would You think it is a fossil. Fossils are found in the ground not growing on trees.

Last picture shows it is part of a burle, as Innocentx said.

Take a chisel to it and many questions will be answered.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

I work with a lot of wood and this was just different it almost look like a mushroom I have worked with Burl before and this just had a different texture on the inside. I have to say though I just signed up for this forum and got responses within two minutes you guys are great thanks for all the help and advise

Edited by Magnus23
Mispell
  • I found this Informative 1

I tried to Chisel but it barely touches it

Burl wood is often much denser than regular wood. This can make it heavier and harder.

It is a fungus that is soft when immature. If they grow massive- like this one. They get more woody. It is not a fossil or limestone. They grow on decaying wood.

• I found this Informative 2

Possibility of some sort of critter dwelling. I thought burl too but it reminds me of something I saw a few days ago but the scale is different. I'll get a picture of it later if it already hasn't been found out by then.

The specimen, in the second picture, definitely shows borings in wood and the visible texture of it is wood.

It could be regenerated wood of a trunk after an injury, in my opinion.
(I've just seen what is burr/burl/bur. Good ID, Innocentx !)  :)

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

23 hours ago, Bronto said:

It is a fungus that is soft when immature. If they grow massive- like this one. They get more woody. It is not a fossil or limestone. They grow on decaying wood.

The reason they are able to get so hard may be the same thing that gives them a limited fossilization potential. There is actually a fairly good record, considering. Chitin is involved if I recall correctly. 

We have had examples of fungi debated extensively to in the end be judged modern. 

1 hour ago, abyssunder said:

The specimen, in the second picture, definitely shows borings in wood and the visible texture of it is wood.

It could be regenerated wood of a trunk after an injury, in my opinion.
(I've just seen what is burr/burl/bur. Good ID, Innocentx !)  :)

It was trying but it lost the fight. When a limb that size dies the sap wood (cambium) that fed it from directly below dies in a small triangular area. As you suggest the tree does grow a scar to cover the whole thing, but there is an opportunity for for spores to be implanted. The look of the knot that is exposed does not look like a healthy scar.

By the way this is one thing that I am an actual pro at. :)

I think its a species of polypore. 

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png