Shark Tooth help please

Atomic_Monkey

New Member here, just getting into fossil hunting that I had a few chances to do as a child (45 now with a child who also loves fossil hunting).  We found this tooth yesterday and I'm not sure on it.   Perhaps a baby Megalodon? Seems shaped right, and a tall root....Unless its a tooth of an adult shark I just don't recognize....Thanks for any help. I have been reeding the forum a little while now, and decided post some now that we are getting out hunting!

PR1.jpg

PR2.jpg

PR3.jpg

PR4.jpg

PR5.jpg

Edited by Atomic_Monkey

My first guess would be a Meg, too.

But since i am not an expert, let's wait for their opinions....

• I found this Informative 1

Welcome!! I hunt the Peace River, also. I think you might have a very large Bull or Dusky shark. There are shark experts who will chime. A small meg is a possibility but shape and undulations of the triangle make it unlikely 

• I found this Informative 4

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

2 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

large Bull or Dusky shark

I agree.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yeah, Carcharhinus sp.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks all! Gives me a better answer since it is consistent with us finding several other bull shark teeth the same day. 

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco! :)

Nice find! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I looked around the internet for some large Dusky_Bulls that might look similar and show the shape I am seeing.  Note the indent on the middle tooth... that is not normally a feature on Megs.DuskyBull.JPG.d6f8aeb49cb366831a47c5eedb25f23d.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Gotcha. Mine is actually shaped a lot like the one on the bottom right of your photo, mine just has more root on it.. I guess it's one of the straighter bulls I have found, but it does have that indentation... Thanks for posting that photo for me! 

Edited by Atomic_Monkey