Fossil wood and crinoid?

gizy

Hi guys!

Yesterday I visited Koneprusy (Devon) in the Czech Republic and found some fossils. It was first time finding fossils :) But I´m not sure about these two.. I think the first one is crinoid (photo #1). Second one looks like a fossil wood (photos #2-4) to me, but I´ve never found one so it might be just some kind of mineral. I don´t know. Thanks for your help :) 

P.S.: Ruller is in centimeters.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by gizy

Yes minerals.

I think you are finding Calcite.

Beautiful stuff too.

Photo #1 is unusual for calcite, nice and clear/white and has some inclusions not easily identifiable.

Is photo #2,3,&4 all the same specimen?

I believe this is a specimen of "Dog tooth" Calcite.

Identical dog tooth calcite crystal formations can be found here in Texas!

John Jackson, administrator here at TFF, gave my wife a beautiful specimen that she treasures too.

• I found this Informative 1

13 minutes ago, bone2stone said:

Yes minerals.

I think you are finding Calcite.

Beautiful stuff too.

Photo #1 is unusual for calcite, nice and clear/white and has some inclusions not easily identifiable.

Is photo #2,3,&4 all the same specimen?

Identical dog tooth calcite crystal formations can be found here in Texas!

John Jackson, administrator here at TFF, gave my wife a beautiful specimen that she treasures too.

Thank you! Pictures #2-4 are same speciment, just different ankles. So it's Calcite, but still nice one and fossil wood come next time :) But don't you think that on the pic #1 is small piece of crinoid? In Koneprusy there should be many of them and I looked at many photos and it seems like it to me.. 

I do not see the segmented structure normally associated with crinoid material.

See if you can isolate just the area you think is crinoid.

Let's take a look  at it then.

Jess B.

Hi,

I think 2nd and 3rd pics are calcite or more probably aragonite

58 minutes ago, bone2stone said:

Dog tooth is a cristal form (scalenoedre). To bear this name the calcite must be crystallized in this shape of crystals as the following examples in 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th pics : https://www.google.com/search?q=calcite+dent+de+chien&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiZ-LD5ovPaAhXIJcAKHathATsQ_AUICigB&biw=1405&bih=735#imgrc=_

Coco

• I found this Informative 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I think the first piece does have some organic inclusions in it. 

Can't see clearly, but may be bryozoans or coral or sponge or whatever. (covering the bases) 

The others seem to be nice bits or aragonite and the last one has what look like branching manganese dendrites on it. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Welcome to the forum! I don't know anything about the fossil site you visited. However, straight north of there, in Upohlavy there is a quarry with beautiful shark coprolites and other interesting fossils from the Bohemian Cretaceous Basin. I'm not sure about fossil hunting restrictions, but just thought I would mention it. :)