Caleehal

I found this just outside denver colorado in an area full of petrified wood. Also found some coprolite there.  The lighter areas on the surface are smooth as if worn and the darker areas are not quite as smooth. The chipped/broken areas show the inside to be fairly uniform in color. Any ideas what it is. Forgive my complete ignorance as I love rocks and fossils but have never really educated myself properly.  

20180507_121807.jpg

20180507_121818.jpg

thx. Why the worn and smoother parts? It's been buried since who knows when. It's on a steep bank near where my brother lived and whenever it rained it unearth more "treasures" , mostly lots and lots of petrified wood, I did find one piece of perpetrified wood too.

Chert forms around an organic component, a dead animal or microorganisms. It therefore doesn't form even layers, but irregular nodules depending on the size and shape of the original components and the space available for growth.  Siliceous nodules tend to be smooth on the exterior due to their microcrystalline nature. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

In common parlance this would be a "flint" nodule. It looks knap-able.

13 minutes ago, Plax said:

It looks knap-able.

Pretty sure that's what my 5 year old would like to do to it...

49 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

a dead animal or microorganisms.

That's cool in itself, if only you could tell what it formed around. I just found the shape interesting.  Letting the local librarian borrow some of my stuff for a "rock" presentation for littler kids and wanted to know what stuff is before I took it. Pretty sure the coprolite will be the "coolest" stuff there. 

1 hour ago, Caleehal said:

Pretty sure that's what my 5 year old would like to do to it...

An aspiring 5 year old flint knapper is something else! Have him wear protective eye glasses while he's making his Native American tools or gun flints. Can you get a sharp close up of those circles on the left side of the first pic?

2 hours ago, Plax said:

circles on the left side of the first pic?

That's about as good as I can get. I'd need to charge up my camera battery to do any better. The 5yo is a she, but she is definitely something else - plays in mud wearing a tutu... She already owns safety goggles and ear protection cuz she likes to work.

20180507_193224.jpg

20180507_193214.jpg

Those "eyes" look a bit like the amorphous structures on some sponge bodies. Couldn't say for sure though of course. Am accustomed to the rind on flint nodules being plain white or some drab color without detail.

28 minutes ago, Plax said:

sponge bodies.

That would certainly explain the shape. Thanks for your insights and suppositions. 

On 5/7/2018 at 2:29 PM, Caleehal said:

That's cool in itself, if only you could tell what it formed around. I just found the shape interesting.  Letting the local librarian borrow some of my stuff for a "rock" presentation for littler kids and wanted to know what stuff is before I took it. Pretty sure the coprolite will be the "coolest" stuff there. 

Coprolite is always a hit!

On 5/7/2018 at 6:39 PM, Caleehal said:

The 5yo is a she, but she is definitely something else - plays in mud wearing a tutu... She already owns safety goggles and ear protection cuz she likes to work.

Sound like my daughter when she was little.  Five is such a wonderful age! :)