Show us your plastic dinosaur

Bobby Rico

5 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

I would love one of them. They have that beautiful vintage feel .

Bobby,

I would like to get the set again so I have been keeping my eyes open at flea markets and garage sales.  I will try to find something for you as well.

Yeah, they are just simple, hollow plastic toys but they were a no-tech afternoon of fun for any kid who liked dinosaurs.  I worry about kids today who think they need iPhones and game systems to have fun.  My brother's girlfriend has a boy who loves to play with cars and Legos.  It's great to see that there are still kids who enjoy navigating all over the space of their imaginations.

Jess

13 minutes ago, siteseer said:

Bobby,

I would like to get the set again so I have been keeping my eyes open at flea markets and garage sales.  I will try to find something for you as well.

Yeah, they are just simple, hollow plastic toys but they were a no-tech afternoon of fun for any kid who liked dinosaurs.  I worry about kids today who think they need iPhones and game systems to have fun.  My brother's girlfriend has a boy who loves to play with cars and Legos.  It's great to see that there are still kids who enjoy navigating all over the space of their imaginations.

Jess

Wow thanks Jess that would be something. Them there Ajax prehistoric creatures have an real wonderful 1960s world fair look to their design, super cool. 
I here you it would be a sad time if kids stopped playing with plastic dinosaurs. 

cheers Bobby 

25 minutes ago, siteseer said:

I worry about kids today who think they need iPhones and game systems to have fun. 

My kid would get a single popsicle stick to play with and be warned that it will have to last till next Christmas when, if they are good, can have yet another one the for the following year. :D

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

7 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

MrsR’s Stegosaurus that was sent by @caldigger thank you . That’s her favourite .

CD18E234-EBE3-4E84-BF24-8BE411521A4C.jpeg

Is that a plant in a "Beaker" pot???  I love him!!!

2 hours ago, Monica said:

Is that a plant in a "Beaker" pot???  I love him!!!

Haha it is Mrs R loves the goofy scientist too.

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, Yoda said:

I saw these dinosaur plant pots in the supermarket over the festive season. 

A.jpg

I made some many years ago out of old hollow toys. 

26539835-8CF0-4C67-8C55-691D9891270C.jpeg

485047E1-3568-436F-AADB-6DDCD061EF33.jpeg

BA4A2DC6-75C0-4DC5-9012-F161B413B1BC.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

3 hours ago, Bob Saunders said:

2 inch die cast. dated 1993

That fantastic thanks for adding to my thread 

1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

That fantastic thanks for adding to my thread 

That's from the jurassic park diecast line. I have the same one .

2 inch die cast. dated 1993  I watched the jurassic park movie ones or twice. Interesting theory about DNA from a mosquito. My wife walked in an asked what in the box? she would not watch after I told her. Now they are talking about restoring Mastodons. How? 

Bob, apparently some viable DNA can be gotten from some of the carcasses that were frozen in the arctic ice.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

25 minutes ago, Bob Saunders said:

Now they are talking about restoring Mastodons. How? 

Science fiction tends to oversimplify in an effort to tell a story. The reality is much more complicated. At present, even with a fully sequenced mammoth genome, how would it be brought to life/term? It is not like cloning from a living example. It is likely, via transfer tech, that material could be modified that would be carried in the womb of a mammoth's closest relative (an elephant), but keep in mind the thousands of genetic code differences between an elephant and a mammoth that would make compatibility very tricky. And, even if this attempt is successful, you would not have a baby mammoth, but a new hybrid species of mammoth and elephant. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

6 minutes ago, Kane said:

And, even if this attempt is successful, you would not have a baby mammoth, but a new hybrid species of mammoth and elephant. 

Yes, my thoughts as well.  A Mammephant if you will. 

Something similar to when they mixed Bison and cattle, it produced "Beefallo" an attempt to make cheaper low fat red meat for the consumer market.

It wouldn't be a pure gened animal.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

The Asian elephant is 99.96% the same genetically as a mammoth. It’s only off by around 1.4 million mutations of wich 2,020  effect 1,642 genes they are attempting to switch to mammoth genes. So far the most likely way and most successful way to do it so far is to use crispr technology. They have already turned “on” and “off” some successfully. Then they plant to implant the dna into a “dead” egg cell. One with no dna in it. Then they plan to grow it in an artificial womb. They have Already successfully grown a lamb in an artificial womb. They recently implanted some mammoth dna material into a mouse egg but the attempt failed the cells didn’t divide.

7 hours ago, Bob Saunders said:

2 inch die cast. dated 1993  I watched the jurassic park movie ones or twice. Interesting theory about DNA from a mosquito. My wife walked in an asked what in the box? she would not watch after I told her. Now they are talking about restoring Mastodons. How? 

This may interest you “ how to build a dinosaur from a chicken “

2 hours ago, Randyw said:

They recently implanted some mammoth dna material into a mouse egg but the attempt failed the cells didn’t divide.

That would only result in creating an animal that's afraid of itself!  :default_rofl:

• I found this Informative 3

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

My understanding is that any resulting embryo, if successful, will have mitochondrial DNA from the denucleated eleplant egg cell.  The nuclear DNA would be mammoth.

4 hours ago, caldigger said:

I would certainly be careful where he is standing!

20200113_203311.png

The drop zone  :D

8 hours ago, caldigger said:

That would only result in creating an animal that's afraid of itself!  :default_rofl:

If we had a joke of the month competition  this would be a clear winner .