Serratolamna serrata & Cretoxyrhina mantelli? NJ Cretac. teeth

Petebeh

Hi all,

I am wondering what you guys think about the following 2 teeth that I've had fun finding in the brooks in Monmouth County, NJ.  Do you think the 1st set of 3 pics is a Serratolamna serrata? In the 2nd set of 4 pics, I am showing a Cretolamna appendiculata (left) next to the unidentified tooth (right), which I suspect is a Cretoxyrhina mantelli based on the 1) broad + rounded + minimized cusplets, 2) angled + curved shape of the blade/tooth, 3) curved/cupped shape of the root.

I sincerely appreciate all of your input!

IMG_2824.jpg

IMG_2831.JPG

IMG_2827.jpg

IMG_2833.jpg

IMG_2835.jpg

IMG_2836 (2).jpg

IMG_2837.jpg

Yes, the first tooth is a nice example of S. serrata. The other tooth is not Cretoxyrhina. Not sure but I think it might be another C. appendiculata.

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks for your reply. The second tooth is puzzling. My guess of Cretoxyrhina was based on the image and description here: http://users.skynet.be/somniosus/Cretaceous_lamniforms.htm . The age and location do not seem to be a good fit though. The root is reminiscent of a Paranomotodon angustidens (it can sit upright on the root), but the weak cusplets on the crown argue against that idea. Do you think it's a pathological C. appendiculata?

The first tooth is a Serratolamna serrata lateral. The tooth next to the Cretalamna is not a Cretoxyrhina. It is a pathological posterior Archaeolamna kopingensis. The Serratolamna is a real nice example of a rare species for the area.

• I found this Informative 2

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Awesome! That makes sense. Thanks to both of you! I appreciate the insight. :dinothumb: