Small ichthyosaurus paddle bone?

DatFossilBoy

Hey guys!

One week ago I was on the Jurassic coast of Lyme Regis looking for fossils.

I found many nice ammonites and belemnites(I will soon make a post about my finds :) )

I was hoping to find some ichthyosaurus material. First I thought this was a small tail vertebra when I saw it in the soft rock.

Then I thought it looked rather like a very small ichthyosaurus paddle bone because it does not have the curves of the fossil.

I can see a distinction between what I think is the matrix and what I think is the bone.

Really not sure about this but it looks a bit too smooth to be just a simple rock. But you never know...

What do you guys think? I colored the matrix in red and left the part that I think is the paddle bone.

Thanks for your help! Kind regards.

CD93B3BD-01F6-4C6E-950E-764B55A31186.jpeg

EE719F70-4A71-4B7B-BE77-C7407BC7D402.jpeg

2628F84A-D67C-44FB-9F51-053EDED336EF.jpeg

4E70B5BE-9CA9-4B1F-8BE7-27EC06DDB813.jpeg

These are the original pictures, tell me if you need more.

Forgot to say: the piece is 1cm.

C99D02B1-CB51-421C-8B9F-89F1D0A9F0C3.jpeg

CC982DAD-16E5-41E4-900F-A4C7475F64DE.jpeg

A6464430-BE8C-4815-9384-56EBF8A67B5A.jpeg

AD3AFA0A-0C37-4211-92BD-59C348FABA35.jpeg

I think you are right. Great find, Congrats. Probably one of the numerous phalanges the Ichthyosaurs have.

3OS-Ichthyosaur-paddle-Lydekker.jpg

Sounds like you had a good hunt, I look forward to see the other stuff you found, but this is a nice start already.

• I found this Informative 4

Sounds like you had some fun and scored some nice fossil. I am looking forward to seeing your ammonite. Looks like it to me but  @JohnBrewer knows his Ichthyosaurs he maybe able to add to the ID.

• I found this Informative 1

16 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Sounds like you had some fun and scored some nice fossil. I am looking forward to seeing your ammonite. Looks like it to me but  @JohnBrewer knows his Ichthyosaurs he maybe able to add to the ID.

Thank you! :) 

19 minutes ago, Bone guy said:

That's a very cool specimen. Congrats on the find!

Thank you!!!

Nice find! 

Yes, i would say it's a piece of icthyosaur paddle. 

Congrats. :)

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Superficially the piece looks though ichthyosaur is a good bet. it could also be turtle assuming they are found in your area.

With the oblique angle of some of your photos, there appear to be a couple of bumps and hollows around the edges that would not fit ichthyosaur paddle bone.

The other question is about the second side, is there matrix attached or is this worn bone.

Photos taken straight down and square on from the sides where there are any hollows would help with my concerns.

Mike

10 hours ago, Mike from North Queensland said:

Superficially the piece looks though ichthyosaur is a good bet. it could also be turtle assuming they are found in your area.

With the oblique angle of some of your photos, there appear to be a couple of bumps and hollows around the edges that would not fit ichthyosaur paddle bone.

The other question is about the second side, is there matrix attached or is this worn bone.

Photos taken straight down and square on from the sides where there are any hollows would help with my concerns.

Mike

Hum... it is very difficult because it is so small.

I don’t see any hollows but I am sure If I try to get rid of some matrix I will see something. I am pretty sure matrix is attached to it because I can see some sort of line all around the piece.

Regards