Could these be fossils?

Becky Benfer

I think I see a definite shape here. Found on a river bank in Ohio. Thanks for ideas.

5BF8F602-3FEE-484F-9F61-135CC952EEB3.jpeg

Ok. I am seeing a gastropod in photo #3, the top indentation is likely an impression of one (called a fossil negative) and the bottom one is the underside of a gastropod.

Possibly, this is a weathered brachiopod that looks like a gastropod. This is actually more likely, now that I think about it, since Gastropoda are usually preserved in much softer limestone and erode quickly, while brachiopods are found in many types of sedimentary rock.

Cannot distinguish genus.

Cut short: It’s a very eroded brachiopod. 

Neat river find!

• I found this Informative 1

Photo #2 seems to be a brachiopod poking out of the matrix at an angle. This is also a very weathered piece, but hey! Not bad for being stuck in the ground for ~1/3rd billion years and getting pulled out of a river!

The curved piece next to the brachiopod that is protruding from the matrix is not attached to the brachiopod, right? If it is, this may change the ID.

The upside-down “u” shaped fossil in photo #1 is another worn brachiopod. It is seriously worn. I am able to distinguish this due to the small indentations on he left side of the fossil that I commonly see when finding brachiopods in their matrix. There seems to be a very thin layer of it, even more proving it’s a brachiopod fragment.

I have no means of distinguishing these fossils into genus. Very weathered indeed.

Or, I may just be going crazy and it is nothing at all. Haha, maybe...:rofl:

In Ohio, fossil brachiopods are the most common fossil. Gastropods are not as common, but not rare (like trilobites) by any means. These are some of my gastropoda from a recent hunt:

CC576B10-328D-4C9F-A1EB-7571F500A32C.thumb.jpeg.78ed5f924ed3f0ec7b55cadd3006b322.jpeg

Characterized by a spiraled structure that gets taller and progressively thinner as the spiral lengthens. Basically, it’s rather similar to a modern day coiled snail shell.

0C014F7C-A875-4891-92A2-D1B7B1D7ADB7.thumb.jpeg.3edd27189bebb699a2bbfe60abb3ff55.jpeg

Here are some more gastropods. The bottom one is a very nice example.

Thanks for trying to post a clearer picture, but it’s a little blurry compared to the last one.

Take #2! :)

If these were also found on the Huron River, we might be able to narrow this down to the Devonian. 

A simplified bedrock geology map of Ohio: rocksofohio.gif

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Either the Mississippian or Devonian would be my guess as the line seems quite close .   That is IF it’s possible that the line wavers somewhat ??? I’m guessing it might? Yes or no??

5 minutes ago, Becky Benfer said:

Either the Mississippian or Devonian would be my guess as the line seems quite close .   That is IF it’s possible that the line wavers somewhat ??? I’m guessing it might? Yes or no??

It may come down to what is being exposed at the surface level. The bedrock map will differ from surficial maps as it records from core samples and occasional outcrops. Given multiple periods of glaciation and retreat, this resulted as well in depositing a lot of till. 

Since these are river finds, the water would have been able to cut into the strata (and this depends on a long history of river flow, intensity of the river, etc.). The Mississippian rocks would mostly be tough sandstones and sandy shales. Of course, once the geologic period is established, that narrows down the possibilities for what these mystery items may likely be! :) 

This site tells an interesting story of the state's geologic history: http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/w/Bedrock_Geology_of_Ohio

Thank you! I will check that website out! I keep wondering when the glaciers actually hit and what could had even been around and/or had a chance to show up in these rocks. Or if all these things are from post glacier time.   ~ Sooo confusing ~

I think there were two major glaciation events: the first was the Illinoian glacier 300,000 years ago, and the second was the Wisonsinan glacier that developed 24,000 years ago and retreated ~14,000 years ago. Of course, there may likely have been smaller glaciation events, too. Many of the state's lovely rivers and valleys were created as a result. :) (of course, I know very little about Ohio other than having passed through it, and what Bugs Bunny said: "it's high in the middle and round on both sides" :P:D ). 

Hahahaha! Bugs bunny is a favorite- he probably knows his geography, we should believe him!   Thanks for the glacier information . It's no wonder I can't find any fossils that are complete. This state has been swiped and beat up by ice chunks! It's still fun to look though.

14 minutes ago, Becky Benfer said:

glaciers actually hit and what could had even been around and/or had a chance to show up in these rocks. Or if all these things are from post glacier time.

The glaciers are a relatively recent event (geologically speaking) and the rocks (and any fossils in them) are much older.

Glaciers can carry rock for many hundreds of miles, but so can a river.

Do not forget to turn left at Albuquerque.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I found some pieces that look like coral to me.  They are very light. I'm going back today to look for more that are similar to the grooved rock I found the other day. Hoping to find more of the same. Sure wish I was educated in this field to know what to bring home and what to leave. I find EVERY rock interesting! Ugh!!!!! 

Just rocks with hollow vesicles, I think. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png