Just Ducky

Jlmarco

Hi thanks for the add - happy to be in my element finding fossils. 

Ive always collected rocks since a very young age.  Moved from the  mountains and meadows  of BC to the Great Lakes of Ontario. 4800kms away from my home land ,. Walking the beautiful beach ive been lucky to discover many fossils , that's id love to share for identification and curiosity purposes . Thanks again - here's a duck ( I think ) 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Unfortunately, this shows no evidence of being a fossil. :( 

Regards,

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hello and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco! :)

Just a rock, i'm afraid. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I think this is a lizard . And the duck is defiantly not just a rock it's fully incased duck in sandstone . If you look at it it's pretty clear ;) 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Should I google that lol ... Thanks  I honestly thought the duck was a rock but looking closer he's got his neck twisted butt up and wing to the side. And if you look real close you'll see an impressions of both legs .  Pictures aren't the best sorry .  The middle Rock is a weasels incase in river bed rock from BC . . I had it for years until I notice two eyes, and a little mouth . Love this! 

You should really go to a rock/mineral/fossil club in your area. 

They can teach you about the kinds of fossils you can expect to find in your area, and what to look for.  ;) 

Unfortunately, you are seeing things in rocks that aren't actually there. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia

• I found this Informative 7

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

good idea , that's why I joined this to learn . But clearly I can't see a foot in front if my face so I'll just move on thanks for the reality check ! 

Wasaga Beach has deposits that are Ordovician in age, so you would be very unlikely to find vertebrate fossils.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Hmm interesting  . I wonder where I could take these "rocks" for a little more clarification , I also found a skull of a falcon maybe . And some other fossils imprinted . Mostly bugs .Pretty hard to tell by a picture . I'm not convinced .they are rocks although I am very artistic and do see animals in rocks . Clouds etc . I also found a finger tip. A thumb  - the police have it . And it was a finger tip . So I need more proof before I just take anyones word for it:) thanks tho . I'm still listening .  Ordovician is another word I need to google thanks . 

• I found this Informative 1

There are no vertebrates (falcons, ducks, etc) in the Ordovician. 

A simplified geologic map: Geologic-map-of-southwestern-Ontario-sho

• I found this Informative 7

Also, science is not about imagination and imposing what we think is there, but careful observation, analysis, evidence, and diagnostics. 

We have a large membership with a vast, cumulative amount of expertise when it comes to identifying fossils. Some of our members are also professional paleontologists. Both our professionals and hobbyists have a great deal of experience collecting fossils. You would likely be able to trust the informed opinions of our members here. ;) 

• I found this Informative 10

So the lizard isn't a lizard, even tho it's clearly a reptile - and has a back bone .. like I said the picture doesn't show enough and I believe if you see that creature , it is what it is. Actually I thought it was a frog and two coins till I really looked . The more sand I scraped the more I see, the legs the feet .the head eye, Is it possible it wasn't 45 million years ago but sooner then that ?  You can't convince me there is no dead animals in the lakes that haven't been encrusted in sand particles to  solidify a perfectly shaped duck ?  ( with his head twisted towards his inside wing, and his butt straight up .). 

On 5/12/2018 at 10:38 PM, Jlmarco said:

So the lizard isn't a lizard, even tho it's clearly a reptile - and has a back bone .. like I said the picture doesn't show enough and I believe if you see that creature , it is what it is. Actually I thought it was a frog and two coins till I really looked . The more sand I scraped the more I see, the legs the feet .the head eye, Is it possible it wasn't 45 million years ago but sooner then that ?  You can't convince me there is no dead animals in the lakes that haven't been encrusted in sand particles to  solidify a perfectly shaped duck ?  ( with his head twisted towards his inside wing, and his butt straight up .). 

You may need to spend some more time looking at actual fossils to better understand their diagnostic details. Belief is simply not enough. Believing that some rock is x is not going to make that rock x.

When you say "it's clearly a reptile" that is not enough of a scientific basis upon which to make such claims. Rocks can take many forms, and mere passing resemblance is not enough to declare that a suggestively shaped rock is a fossil. If it were simply a matter of resemblance, we would say the appearance of a bent stick in water is a bent stick as opposed to an optical effect of the light as it is refracted in water. Remember that the empirical method, upon which science is based, does not proceed by declarative and deductive statements. 

The "duck" rock is not a duck. It would not preserve in this fashion. Any dead animals in the lake would likely decompose and show only bones (if the bones themselves do not succumb to disarticulation due to wave action, etc.). There are no bones or bone texture in that piece of sandstone whatsoever. The deposits off Wasaga Beach would likely be either Ordovician shales and limestones (~450 million years old, or at least 300 million years before the arrival of bird-like animals, let alone ducks) or glacial deposits after the retreat during the last glaciation event. There are also no reptile fossils in southern Ontario. These factors mitigate against your extraordinary claims (which would require extraordinary evidence). The fossil record of your area has been extensively studied for the last 200 years.

What you will find, however, is contingent upon the shales that may wash up from Georgian Bay. There is a possibility that you may encounter trilobites, graptolites, brachiopods, conularids, nautiloids, etc., which would all be marine organisms from the Ordovician when the area was a coastal shelf abutting the Iapetus Ocean. Their presence in the Lindsay Formation will be more manifest as you head west to Collingwood. At Wasaga Beach, you may encounter Georgian Bay Formation limestones. Both of these formations are Ordovician in age.

This image of tail moults from the trilobite Pseudogygites latimarginatus would be far more typical finds in your area: trilobites_crop.jpg

And, just as a reference, here would be a bird fossil (from the Cretaceous):

Cathayornis-yandica-1024.jpg

Image from: 

http://www.fossilmuseum.net/Fossil-Pictures/Birds/Cathayornis-yandica/Cathayornis-yandica-1024.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

8 hours ago, Jlmarco said:

There have been cases where animals have been mummified prior to fossilization, but this rarely happens. With the exception of animals with an exoskeleton (crabs, trilobites, etc.), fossilized creatures rarely look like they did when alive. They are usually flattened (as in the fossilized bird example posted by Kane). A fossilized duck positioned in death the way you described would result in a pile of bones that would be very hard to recognize as a duck. What you are seeing in your rocks is very similar to seeing animals in clouds, etc. (called pareidolia). Mother nature is a trickster. She gives us wonderful natural sculptures an imaginations that allow us to appreciate them.  

It is not our place on this forum to convince you of anything. We are just a community of people with a love and appreciation of fossils that enjoy learning from each other. :)

• I found this Informative 5

I like that the chances if having  one is very slim .I do live on the Collingwood border right in the cove . We get some wicked winds and the beach is very long and shallow . I found my mummified duck in the water with just slit tale part sticking out . It was a surprise regardless if it is or not the chances are slim . Haha it's my duck ! 

Here's my rodent , it has a fossil that fell off ,when I was scraping the sand off .  

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm sorry, but your initial piece is not a mummified duck, and this recent rock is not a rodent. Have a closer look at your local geological information (as I referenced above) to have a clearer understanding of what fossils are likely to be found in your area.

No, it is Ordovician in age. If you look closely at the small circles, those are crinoid pieces. Some of the arcing flecks may be brachiopod fragments. This is a water worn piece of limestone bearing marine organisms.

• I found this Informative 3

Lol  . It must be completely frustrating to have such a free thinker in your group . I have my collection and I'm learning thanks . I've been reading a lot . Like you said  the map you showed  of the blue and some rouge and the other is purple and orange all of those pieces of era can wash up on my beach . In any form . Just one big happy rainbow of fossils and mummified rodents and ducks that look like rocks . 

The duck Aldo has little air bubbles in the rock interesting the more I look the more I'm convinced lol. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

It is not at all an issue of free thinking.

We are a science-based forum, and as such rely on evidence as being aligned with verifiable truth, not flights of fancy. 

It is clear that you are convinced about what you have found and will not be persuaded by any evidence to the contrary. Our members have tried to assist you in identifying your finds and help you better understand more about what fossils actually are.

At this point, we may have to agree to disagree. If you are still convinced about your finds, do take them in hand to your nearest university earth sciences department or natural history museum. Our experienced members here do not share your opinion about these rocks. 

As there is little more that will contribute to our learning with this topic, this thread will be locked and we wish you luck finding answers about these finds elsewhere.

• I found this Informative 10

• Kane locked this topic