Claw from the hell creek formation

Hunter0811

A small claw ( roughly 14,8mm big ) i found in the hell creek formation in South Dakota, the first two pictures show both lateral sides of the claw and the last picture shows the ventral side of the claw. I hope that any of you might have an idea of what species this claw is from.

regards! 

Foto.jpg

foto2.jpg

Foto3.jpg

It does not look dinosaurian.  I have a number of small claws from the Hell Creek that I've had no success in iidentifying.  Not much is published on isolated claws of this type.   Lots of mammals running around in the HC so might be part of that group.

All about the size of yours.

TinyclawD112P.jpg.835614ec4936fd7cb16ad7f3017679e4.jpg5afb363e562a8_TinyclawD112W2(2).jpg.cb529b254341d8cee149b7db3b34556d.jpg5afb364b24ecd_TinyclawD112P1A(2).jpg.3bdd594fbf17798c41a67c3db2f305dd.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I agree, that is a very interesting little piece. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

My first thought was a suggestively shaped shard of a gar scale, but I'll defer to troodon if he thinks it's a claw.

• I found this Informative 3

2 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

My first thought was a suggestively shaped shard of a gar scale, but I'll defer to troodon if he thinks it's a claw.

I had not thought about that, might be one they take all different shapes

17 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

Yes, I see that too.  I'm leaning gar scale with some wear/chipping.

The second photo definitely shows the enamel of a gar scale.  I am in the broken gar scale camp.  

Yeah it indeed looks quite a bit like a gar scale, hadn't thought about that yet, but how does it explains the little groove in the scale/claw in the first picture. The photo isn't the best but if you look good enough you see a groove on the claw in the first picture, i'll try to make some better pics but it's really hard to get it in the exact right angle. Thanks for the help everyone!