Another Unidentified

Quality4go

Looks like a coral to me but the pic are to dark to try for a positive id

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

I think Seldom nailed it. It looks like a stream-worn horn coral. Pretty big one too. (Either that, or from the first photo its a fossil gorilla face! :blink: )

Specimen is rougly the size of a half dollar. I'm guessing its some kind of shellfish?

The collecting locality can provide important evidence in making an ID. Data like "a dry streambed in SE Indiana" or "the south shore of Lake Ontario, near Rochester" can be very useful.

Also useful is your location. If you'll fill out your personal profile with that minimum info, your posts will get more attention from other collectors in your area. That, in turn, increases your chance of identifying your fossils and of expanding your local collecting opportunities.

In this case, I agree with 'seldom' and 'Xiphactinus' that your fossil appears to be a stream-rounded colonial coral.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I think Seldom nailed it. It looks like a stream-worn horn coral. Pretty big one too. (Either that, or from the first photo its a fossil gorilla face! :blink: )

I just noticed that. Pretty funny!

Thanks for the replies. It was found in northeast IL (suburbs of Chicago), in a very small spring fed creek about 5 feet wide and in the middle of a forest.. the gorilla forest...

It dose like a little like a fossil gorilla face

post-1315-1250552599.jpg

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway