Kem Kem Beds fossil id

Egempaleo

Could anyone put a name on this bone from the Kem Kem beds? When i purchased it there was a lot of sediment stick on it and looks more like a strange looking stone, but what came out is a complete bone.

Naamloos.jpg

What a strange looking bone. @LordTrilobite might be able to sort this one out:popcorn:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 hours ago, goatinformationist said:

Yes, that makes my toes itch too.

Have you tried Tinactin?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Definitely one bone Troodon! You see a crack in there but the pieces fit together perfectly 

Naamloos.jpg

Ignore this post. I made a mistake. It's not Abelisaurid.

I don't have an exact match. But it's giving me an Abelisaur hand/arm vibe. But I'm really not sure.

here are some reference images.

Carnotaurus lower arm.

Screenshot_20171005-114830.thumb.jpg.ea024040252483ca99dc1bd31bde44ba.thumb.jpg.a35dcda8c592521bd67d46bf89b2fa54.jpg

Majungasaurus arm bones. First image is left radius. Second image is left ulna. Third image is finger bones.

FIGURE-6-Left-radius-of-Majungasaurus-crenatissimus-FMNH-PR-2836-in-anterior-A.thumb.png.735d75f2463a1d125d3479332ec02cc5.pngFIGURE-7-Left-ulna-of-Majungasaurus-crenatissimus-UA-9860-in-anterior-A-medial.thumb.png.95dd5bdaeffce72e6000cd5cd88484a6.pngFIGURE-8-Left-manus-of-Majungasaurus-crenatissimus-FMNH-PR-2836-in-dorsal-A-B.png.3f14f20876e55f8986ac92208844f648.png

• I found this Informative 6

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Yep if thats one bone agree with LordTrilobite and we should have large bodied Abelsaurids in Kem Kem 

It looks to be one bone to me, there is a repair to it as you can see however the section you pointed out is a raised area by the looks of it, again another issue with taking photographs compared to holding in the hand, is the depth of field is lost. Also congratulations I am with LT on this one and in my book is a fantastic find. just to confirm are you thinking radius LT?

Ignore this post. I made a mistake. It's not Abelisaurid.

I made a quick post this morning so I didn't have the time to look at the photos in detail. But I was actually thinking that the Carnotaurus ulna looks a bit similar. The ulna on Majungasaurus also has that indent on the distal end like Egempaleo's specimen seems to have. Neither Carnotaurus or Majungasaurus seems to be an exact match, but we still don't know a whole lot about what the Abelisaurids in Kem Kem really look like. The teeth found in the Kem Kem beds have generally been compared to those of Rugops from Niger. But that animal is from the Lower Cretaceous, so there's a lot of time between those animals.

Time for some more reference images.

More Majungasaurus, but this time in situ.

FIGURE-1-Line-drawing-of-left-scapulocoracoid-and-forelimb-of-Majungasaurus.png.30895b25cf9edca6883a5851539c2ca8.png

And also a rather nice 3D scan with the Majungasaurus shoulder girdle in full articulation.

dino-arm-12011.jpg.5fba7e3d1ee294c85e6d5c6584aa26be.jpg

Also a more complete image of the Carnosaurus arm. A has another view of the ulna (right) and radius (left). B is another view of the radius.

20145631128a4b45898741b21d129106.jpg.7a701e043ff8a1f7edc81e4cb5c83bfe.jpg

And if this specimen is indeed an Abelisaurid arm bone and possible ulna, I'm thinking we're looking at a fairly derived Abelisaurid. So maybe less like primitive Abelisaurids like Eoabelisaurus and Rugops, and more like Majungasaurus and Carnotaurus.

If we look at this more primitive Abelisaurid, Eoabelisaurus we see that the arm does not match at all. It's arms are much longer and look a little more like those of a typical theropod, as they are not nearly as stumpy as those of Carnotaurus and Majungasaurus.

Eoabelisaurus_mefi_F1.large.thumb.jpg.ca5277e3b1dd01f9038fa07ffcd14d85.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Much appreciation fort the effort to come to a identification Lord Trilobite.

Although these are not exactly  the same but to to me the bone that shows the biggest similarities is wat i show in the picture below.

Screenshot_20171005-2.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

• 7 months later...

@Egempaleo

I recently bought a bone and upon inspection it's pretty much identical to your specimen. And after more research I found out that I was wrong before.

So ignore all my previous posts in this thread.

This is not any part of an Abelisaurid sadly.

It's the fibulare/calcaneum or ankle bone of a giant crocodile. I'm not sure how this bone scales compared to the rest of the body. But if it's similar to the examples I've seen we're talking absolutely huge.

It's the bone labeled as 16 in this picture.

i_281.jpg.430c5deb9f70d9ce206c4a4506db8ef7.jpg

A few more examples.

A. Rutiodon the phytosaur. B. Prestosuchus. C. Postosuchus. D. Alligator

C and D look most similar.

Parrish-1993-crurotarsan-calcanea-360-px

More.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-rer_SlKXd7YH1PwIrVO

• I found this Informative 2

• 2 months later...
See your post just now Olof.  Indeed it looks more like that. Thanks for the identification!