A Solid Double From The Burlington By Springfield, Mo

Ron E.

This was from my hunt last month in Springfield, MO. The rock is claystone, a coarse matrix which doesn't preserve fine details quite as well as that from the Boone here near Bentonville, AR.

post-1880-1250544027_thumb.jpg

post-1880-1250544037_thumb.jpg

If you can make out my circles, we have TWO trilobite tails within an inch! That's pretty Mississippian amazin'! Also, note the immaculate lophophore structure on the brach.

The cast shows the other side of the equation.

Nice rock! I wish it was bit more durable.

Guest solius symbiosus

What your calling the lophophore support is probably the the muscle attachment scar, also that looks more like a packstone or wackstone. Claystones are finegrained.

Nice finds, you should be able to find other trilobite parts there.

What your calling the lophophore support is probably the the muscle attachment scar, also that looks more like a packstone or wackstone. Claystones are finegrained.

Nice finds, you should be able to find other trilobite parts there.

That's kewl too! I haven't encountered much in the way of brachiopod internal workings. thanks, ss! And thanks for the education, the rock looks a lot like my local claystone, but definitely a more coarse texture.

The adductor attaches the brachial valve; the diductor the pedicle.

I look forward (soon, I promise) to the day that that clicks in my brain!

The adductor attaches the brachial valve; the diductor the pedicle.

Thanks for the anatomy lesson, I was thinking they were lophophores too. Ron, can you get a better closeup of the bottom circled area in the first photo?

Hmmm... think we can get enough lines to make a parody of "head bone's connected to the neck bone" song? :D

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the anatomy lesson, I was thinking they were lophophores too. Ron, can you get a better closeup of the bottom circled area in the first photo?

Hmmm... think we can get enough lines to make a parody of "head bone's connected to the neck bone" song? :D

Will do, but probably tomorrow night. My job requires me to turn in VERY early.