Large-toothed Fish Found In Lake Travis

Seldom

This is interesting, like the gators in the sewers in NY

Large-toothed fish found in Lake Travis

Reported by: John Bumgardner Web Producer

Saturday, Aug 15, 2009 @04:23pm

Austin area residents can swim and boat, rest assured, a fish caught early Saturday that is in the same family as the piranha is actually a vegetarian.

Phillip Tatum was fishing in Lake Travis around 9:00 a.m. like he’s done for the past several years for catfish. What Tatum hooked and pulled out of the water in Pace Bend Park at the Collier Cove boat ramp just south of Magnum was a shocking surprise.

Tatum initially thought the large toothed pacu he caught was a piranha, the pacu’s cousin, and so did park rangers who posed for pictures with the scaly creature.

Officials at Pace Bend Park tell KEYE TV after researching the creature in textbooks they have available, they found the fish was indeed a pacu.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

While introducing non-native species is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!!!,

Piranhas will never be much of an issue in North America, IMHO. It takes pretty special circumstances, and very specific species, in order to cause the attack sequences immortalized in horror flicks and YouTube.

OTOH, I worry greatly about Burmese pythons in the poor, beleaguered Everglades.

While introducing non-native species is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!!!,

Piranhas will never be much of an issue in North America, IMHO. It takes pretty special circumstances, and very specific species, in order to cause the attack sequences immortalized in horror flicks and YouTube.

OTOH, I worry greatly about Burmese pythons in the poor, beleaguered Everglades.

Maybe they're heading north like the infamous killer bees! :drool:

Maybe they're heading north like the infamous killer bees! :drool:

Armadillos are the ones that amaze me. They have steadily migrated north since the middle ages. They were unheard of in southern Oklahoma in the 60's, now in middle Kansas!

Northern and giant snakeheads are a big threat in some eastern states.

Snakeheads in the Potomac have yet to achieve the detrimental numbers first predicted; seems that, until they get too big, they are pretty good Bass food. (Not that any invasive exotic is in any way a good thing...).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Anyone wonder what he caught it on?? They said the fish were plant eaters.....

Carp/catfish doughballs?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Anyone wonder what he caught it on?? They said the fish were plant eaters.....

I have talked to a number of guys that have caught these fish. They were fishing with catfish bait. This is Makoken's back yard. If I catch one, I'll post a pic. ;)

Carp/catfish doughballs?

Mix Big Red soda with Wheaties cereal and make doughballs.Form around a treble hook and freeze for use later.

Makes great carp bait!! And it's pretty cheap compared to prepared baits.

Mix Big Red soda with Wheaties cereal and make doughballs.Form around a treble hook and freeze for use later.

Makes great carp bait!! And it's pretty cheap compared to prepared baits.

No stink! And, I guess if you get hungry, you can snack on it? :P

My dad used to put millet in a bucket on the back porch to ferment. My mom just loved just loved our catfishing phase. :unsure:

Also, I had really good luck with Ivory soap on trot lines.

Do you know what is used to make catfish bait that smells like blue cheese?

I used to love that as a kid...

Welcome to the forum!

Do you know what is used to make catfish bait that smells like blue cheese?

I used to love that as a kid...

I used to like the smell of Uncle Charlies catfish bait.I know I'm weird!

My dad used to put millet in a bucket on the back porch to ferment. My mom just loved just loved our catfishing phase. :unsure:

That is usually used for chumming.The smellier the better!

I used to like the smell of Uncle Charlies catfish bait.I know I'm weird!

Barry, I thought that was your cologne I was smelling.