Knee pads and gloves

LiamL

I’m looking at buying some gear recommended by you guys who fossil hunt alot. Any recomendtations on nice gloves, preferably fingerless and very breathable. I’m also looking at buying some knee pads.

thanks TFF.

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

In terms of kneepads, I'm sure just about any would do and can be acquired at just about any hardware store.

In terms of gloves, I've been pleasantly surprised by using nitrile-coated gloves. Although not fingerless, the ones I acquired have breathable mesh on the back of the hands, and the nitrile on the grip areas of the palms and fingers. I find the nitrile helps to grip certain things (like tools, blocks, or fossils) much better than cloth gloves or bare hands while working in wet / muddy / rainy conditions.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I agree, any kneepads from hardware or sports stores should be acceptable.

Or you could do what I do and cellotape comfy cushions to your knees. :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

For gloves I've been using my sailing gloves that are finger-less ... from WestMarine which I believe is also in the UK.  They make inexpensive gloves that fit tightly and have breathable material on the back with a mix of soft leather and more rigid leather for the thumb and palm.  They are great for getting wet.  

11657939S.jpg.b3c419ddf20128da535f284092f85308.jpg

Speaking of .. a lot of my dingy foul weather sailing gear has ended up on my equipment list .. haha ... including re-enforced neoprene booties for my feet and insulated neoprene and cloth socks.  Keeps my feet warm and safe in the creeks that I frequent. Rain or shine. And if you take care of the gear you will have it for years.

Gil.jpg.1d0df8e1ca862591d08c5ec1b29f98d6.jpg

Good Luck ...

Cheers,

Brett

you can cut the fingers off any gloves. some leather weight lifting gloves are finger less and are very nice

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

It all depends on the type of collecting you are doing.  My collecting requires me to remove lots of over burden so I need high quality leather gloves with a palm pad to keep from destroying my hands.  I'm laying down a lot so elbow pads are a higher priority than knee pads.  

Fingerless would make gloves completely useless for me.I am constantly handling and sweeping sandy matrix to the side with my fingers. I usually wear through the finger tips on my gloves in a good day of digging. Think what that would do to bare fingers. Ouch!

Heres what i ended up buying online. 

I already have some full fingered gloves but they're very thin and dont have much grip to hold onto nodules while hammering. I'll take both.

1.png

2.png

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

6 hours ago, LiamL said:

Heres what i ended up buying online. 

I already have some full fingered gloves but they're very thin and dont have much grip to hold onto nodules while hammering. I'll take both.

1.png

2.png

Great! :)

All ready to go.

(but i think two gloves would have been better ;))

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

On 5/20/2018 at 12:13 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

I agree, any kneepads from hardware or sports stores should be acceptable.

Or you could do what I do and cellotape comfy cushions to your knees. :D

You should dump the cellotape and use superglue.  Then you’d never have to worry about them slipping off. :)

Just now, Sagebrush Steve said:

You should dump the cellotape and use superglue.  Then you’d never have to worry about them slipping off. :)

Good plan.

I shall try it next time I go out collecting. 

And post pictures.:)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

1 hour ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

Better yet just stitch them to your knees.

• 1 month later...

What I did for knee pads was recycle an old pair of SWAT pants that I used to have.  5.11 makes pants with a neoprene knee pad built into them.  I double upped the layers and am good to go. 

Archived