Theropod IDs

Masp

This is a follow up from another previous topic I started regarding some a past purchases of mine. I thought would be helpful to me and others to post here. 

All feedback appreciated. 

I stopped by Trenton state museum recently and David Parris generously helped me out. We ID’d these fossils together. 

I purchased a fossil sold to me as an allosaurus pelvic bone. I wanted to take it to a professional to see where it could fit, so David seemed to be the right guy. The fossil is fragmented, so from just looking at it, it’s hard to see what it could be period. But if you take a closer look in comparison with another theropod, it becomes somewhat clear.  In order to figure out if the fossil was theropod, we took it over to the famous fighting Dryptosaurus skeletons for comparison.  He figured it would be a pretty good match because of the size similarIty. He said it’s probable that it could be allosaurus. 

This is a pic of David with the fossil vs Dryptosaurus 

D3793BBF-D644-4D40-948A-ED9AE792F962.jpeg

DFE8E4E7-4D51-463D-A3E7-501E968155A1.jpeg

22256A21-E477-433E-9B5B-D8AE4C40A1F6.jpeg

7F109559-2D52-4BB0-B0D8-9AF5685625E4.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Next, I showed David another purchase.  A while back I acquired a small jar section that was sold to me as Tyrannosaurus.  The seller seemed knowledgable and honest...said he,  along with his son, others, and one of the paleontologist founders of the famous T Rex tinker, ID’d this as lower t rex jaw section.  

I know it’s hard to tell and really it seems like this fossil could be anything but looking at it in person is a little different because the curve seems to match exactly where the seller said the fossil belonged.  I will post pictures of the fossil close-up. It’s very fragmented, and I know many are going to say it’s tough to ID. He said it appears theropod And possibly, but not definitely t rex because it’s too to tell from this small section, but agreed size and shape fits. 

This fossil was found on private land, Garfield City, Montana, Hell Creek 

75BB8F87-ECBB-47ED-A492-B9FF19443710.jpeg

05FCFE16-C42E-4025-BB9B-DD0E06FF7BA2.jpeg

12B2F9FE-BEBB-42AC-A75D-B480E91674F1.jpeg

E6F6C5FF-407A-46E1-B28B-3A84B94AC3E9.jpeg

A3761211-1EA7-464C-8884-28E6A14F3FCD.jpeg

Beautiful bones! Especially love the allosaurus. I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell whether that's a trex jawbone but it looks right. Let's see what the experts have to say. 

• I found this Informative 1

Send an email to the top Trex expert in the world Pete Larsen and he might give you a definitive answer.  He's currently in the field so you might get a delayed response.  I'll PM you his email.

31 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Send an email to the top Trex expert in the world Pete Larsen and he might give you a definitive answer.  He's currently in the field so you might get a delayed response.  I'll PM you his email.

Ha, the wonders of the forum. Simply ask, and you can get a definitive answer or be put in touch with world-leasing experts in a matter of hours!

Nice bones!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

11 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Ha, the wonders of the forum. Simply ask, and you can get a definitive answer or be put in touch with world-leasing experts in a matter of hours!

Nice bones!

Haha right?  This really was a game changer 

6 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Really nice pieces! 

Wow! :)

Thank you! I may want a Carcharodontosaurus jaw made up in the future so I’ll go to you   :ighappy:

Just now, Masp said:

Thank you! I may want a Carcharodontosaurus jaw made up in the future so I’ll go to you   :ighappy:

Shouldn't be a problem at all. :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Lastly, I’m not the biggest fan of replicas personally,  but in some cases, I think they are pretty cool... for example ones of extremely rare specimens, like this one I bought at the museum..this is a Dryptosaurus hand claw replica. The real hand claw is at Drexel. Dryptosaurus is one of my favorites (being that I’m from east coast, NJ)..I realize how rare a hand claw of it is..so I think it’ll make a cool display piece. 

A3503A1A-2967-4BAC-A3E4-12535B0FD13E.jpeg

385BEB2E-2BD0-43B8-8000-26030558C8BB.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Just now, Masp said:

Lastly, I’m not the biggest fan of replicas personally,  but in some cases, I think they are pretty cool... for example ones of extremely rare specimens, like this one I bought at the museum..this is a Dryptosaurus hand claw replica. The real hand claw is at Drexel. Dryptosaurus is one of my favorites (being that I’m from east coast, NJ) and realize how rare a hand claw of it is..so I think it’ll make a cool display piece. 

Looks pretty great! :)

Although the real thing is obviously better, in many cases it's just not possible. 

Nothing wrong with replicas, museums are full of 'em.

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I'm also not a fan of replicas but in this case its awesome.  One of the nicer ones Ive seen, the detail is super.   I'm a claw guy first when it comes to dinosaurs and there are ones that are out of reach financially or availability.  To fill the void I have a few replicas like a 22 inch Therizinosaurus claw so I can show-off these impressive weapons.  Yours definitely sends that message.

58 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I'm also not a fan of replicas but in this case its awesome.  One of the nicer ones Ive seen, the detail is super.   I'm a claw guy first when it comes to dinosaurs and there are ones that are out of reach financially or availability.  To fill the void I have a few replicas like a 22 inch Therizinosaurus claw so I can show-off these impressive weapons.  Yours definitely sends that message.

And what I  like about this one especially is that it’s practically solid like rock and on the heavier side which I think is cool.  I have held some replicas that are junky and hollow with chipping. This one is definitely not one of those and of quality.