Possible Vert, but from what

bbrosen

North Sulphur River find from 5/27/18

Think it's a vertebra but it's not one I recognize,  its 4.75 inches wide, 3.25 inches high.

Pretty badly beat up from rolling around the river. 20180527_220431.thumb.jpg.be926975d8521f5d928a5a3afcfdbd6c.jpg

20180527_220216.jpg

20180527_220134.jpg

20180527_220301.jpg

Yes, looks like one.

It is very damaged. I think the only possible ID is from knowing the most common vertebra found In that area.

The chances are it’s from that.

regards

Could be a really worn Mosasaur vertebra since they are found quite often in north sulphur river. Let see what the experts say. But anyways nice find:).

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

It looks like a worn mosasuar vert.

Mosasaur is very common there, but it does not look like any of the aquatic verts I have found. The disc side is flat, unlike all the other verts I have found. As soon as I picked it up I immediately did not recognize it to be mosasaur. The growth wrinkles or patterns look odd as well..perhaps it is aquatic, just looks different 

The flat articular surface and ovoid shape are much more consistent with plesiosaur vertebrae than mosasaur vertebrae.

they also get Pleistocene there; no? The porosity looks mammalian to me. Not saying it is; just suggesting that it may not be Cretaceous.

• I found this Informative 2

If it is Cretcaeous, it is defintely not a mosasaur (see Carl's asnwer).  Plesiosaur, yes maybe.  Are the local Pleistocene bones well mineralized?  Is this bone well mineralized?  

I agree with Plax, this looks more mammalian.  What does the other broken side look like?

@bbrosen

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

For me, it is not inconsistent with Mammoth cervical vertebra that is missing the epiphysis.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The fourth photo shows a quite distinct nutrient groove and with the positioning of the broken attachment to its right looks to be a neck vertebra.

Unsure what other animals have that large a nutrient groove but it fits in with the pliosaur family and the bone density would also fit in with what I have seen of that group.

As has been said before what animals have been found in that area ?

Mike 

Mosasaur, Plesiosaur. And various other fish. Mammoth molars, mammoth enamel are found but not as common. A friend of mine found a whole baby mammoth molar 2 years ago there. 

Thanks for the image, but do you have one with light on the broken surface?  

Does this help, John?

~~.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

This image of a Plesiosaur vert from the 'net shows "puckering"...
~~.jpg

...similar to that on the mystery vert:

~~~.jpg

The articulating surface, though, is more concave...

• I found this Informative 2

The broken back is fibrous, and I will upload a better photo, it's all I had while I was at work. I appreciate all the input. I thought it might be mammal, maybe Bison, and long shot mammoth. 

This is much more wider and spread out, less circular and drum like like the Plesiosaur Vert that was posted earlier. 

20180530_215935.jpg

Thanks for the excellent photos!  The texture of the broken bone definitely suggests marine reptile.  Not sure which one, but the "flat" side could be the eroded concave side of a large mosasaur vertebra.