doushantuo

here

9,1 MB

2ft4ee44etmeydtr2m35pltwillist.jpg

KimTexan

Thanks for sharing. I need to print that out and read it. I have dozens of pyratized cepholopods and gastropods. Maybe 30-50. I’ve never counted them. I found them all in one day when I took @Herb and a couple other people out to a site that has them in abundance.

I need to do something to preserve them so they don’t turn to dust.

I keep saying I’m going to do that but then I don’t do it.

Herb have you or your friend (forget her name) done anything with your pyratized ammonites?

siteseer
6 hours ago, KimTexan said:

Thanks for sharing. I need to print that out and read it. I have dozens of pyratized cepholopods and gastropods. Maybe 30-50. I’ve never counted them. I found them all in one day when I took @Herb and a couple other people out to a site that has them in abundance.

Herb have you or your friend (forget her name) done anything with your pyratized ammonites?

Hi KimTexan,

I have some pyritized ammonites from a few sites.  It seems to depend on the locality at least in part.  I have some from Lons-le-Saulnier, France but used to have several.  They crumbled to powder.  I have a couple of those Pleuroceras from Mistelgau, Germany and a couple of Baculites from South Dakota but they are all still in great shape and I got those at least 25 years ago.  I haven't preserved them in any way other than keep them in a box or storage cabinet.  It might help that I don't live in a particularly humid climate either.

Jess

Herb

possibly finger nail strengthener with nylon fibers

taj
On 5/28/2018 at 10:05 AM, KimTexan said:

Thanks ! I have hundreds and hundreds of them .....

FossilSniper

Here in Ohio, pyritized fossils are scarce trophies. I only have two partial straight-shelled nautiloids in pyrite, unlike you lucky pyrite hoarders ;) 
I should strengthen them. I did not even know pyrite could degrade. Thank you very much for this post.