Bronzviking

Hi all, I took my Mom to lunch at Frenchy's Dunedin, Florida and than took a walk on the Causeway. I found this unusual piece that I was going to toss but kept it. It is about 3" by 2" by 2" and looks like granulated brown sugar with crystals (I think sandstone) under the eye loop. It appears to have about 4 shell casts on top with some of the seashell still embedded in the layers. On top it looks like a turtle with its head sticking out?? There is a dozen or more shell molds or imprints all over this conglomerate of sediment. What do you think of this find? Is it considered a fossil? Thanks in advance!

DSC073831.jpg

DSC073841.jpg

DSC073881.jpg

DSC074161.jpg

DSC073981.jpg

DSC074091.jpg

DSC074111.jpg

DSC074141.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Hi T Dad, It said they are common on the East Coast and I found this on the West Coast. I looked at the pictures and mine don't look anything like these shells glued together with sediment??

330px-CoquinaFlorida.jpg

51 minutes ago, Bronzviking said:

It said they are common on the East Coast and I found this on the West Coast. I looked at the pictures and mine don't look anything like these shells glued together with sediment??

Coquina is a common sedimentary rock type which can be found in many places around the world.

They can have very different shells and cementing agents that make up the coquina, giving different appearences.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Careful ! There is a percentage limit on amount of matrix allowed for it to be true coquina.

I remember trying for an appeal one time. :)

• I found this Informative 2

I like looking at Florida rocks and wondering about how they got that way--thanks for your photos! 

Your sample looks awful sandy to me which makes me want to call it a highly fossiliferous sandstone rather than a coquina...Been too long since I took a petrology class but since moving to Florida I have used Coquina when describing mostly shells/fragments that are cemented together and rather porous. Before I moved here I probably would have called it coquina too. Maybe its a sandy coquina...might be just splitting hairs here on the definition... 

Regards, Chris 

Thanks Chris for looking and taking the time to ID! :) I agree with you that it is highly fossiliferous sandstone. It is very rough to the touch, like sandpaper and has a mustardy yellow color unlike all the limestone fossils in this area.