Golden Crust!

Traviscounty

I didn't know what else to call it? I took my friend Megan down into the San Antonio area on Sunday. We didn't find much besides a couple of ice houses, but we stopped along the road outside of Boerne, and found this glistening layer on top of some sea hash. It's hard to see in the pic, but there are little crystals of some sort that caught our eye. I actually thought this was a piece of asphalt that still had the yellow stripe on it. :D

Anyone know what this is?

post-1159-1250703279_thumb.jpg

post-1159-1250703304_thumb.jpg

I didn't know what else to call it? I took my friend Megan down into the San Antonio area on Sunday. We didn't find much besides a couple of ice houses, but we stopped along the road outside of Boerne, and found this glistening layer on top of some sea hash. It's hard to see in the pic, but there are little crystals of some sort that caught our eye. I actually thought this was a piece of asphalt that still had the yellow stripe on it. :D

Looks like asphalt with paint to me Good idea to use pepper for size you grow it.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Looks like asphalt with paint to me Good idea to use pepper for size you grow it.

Maybe it is asphalt. It looks like there is shell material in it? Could it be some sort of reflective paint?

Yes sir, I vote for asphalt. The reflective is when you drive at night and see the center stripe on the road.

Maybe it is asphalt. It looks like there is shell material in it? Could it be some sort of reflective paint?

Look real close it should have silver specs in it and the paint has a rubber look to it. Dose the asphalt have shell in it? Never saw asphalt with shell it has to be hot when its laid not sure shell would work.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Hey, I wasn't kiddin' when I said we didn't find much.

Could someone move this to my "walk of shame" post. Thank you.

I once had a guy play a practical joke on me in the office. I was having a very valuable piece ($500+) shipped to my office so I could make sure I received it. So this guy sees a box with my name on it in the mail room and knowing my interests made the correct assumption that it was mineral specimen. He cuts the bottom of the box open, carefully takes the wrapped mineral out and puts a substitute in it's place. Reseals the box and drops it on my desk when I was away.

I get back, all excited to check out this cool Sweet Home Mine Rhodochrosite mineral specimen I had ordered and much to my surprise I find a hunk of asphalt. You can bet I was pi$$ed off and cursing up a storm. Took me a while to figure out what happened but the guy brought the mineral back and had a good laugh at my expense. He had good timing as I was about to call up the merchant and give him a piece of my mind. :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I once had a guy play a practical joke on me in the office. I was having a very valuable piece ($500+) shipped to my office so I could make sure I received it. So this guy sees a box with my name on it in the mail room and knowing my interests made the correct assumption that it was mineral specimen. He cuts the bottom of the box open, carefully takes the wrapped mineral out and puts a substitute in it's place. Reseals the box and drops it on my desk when I was away.

I get back, all excited to check out this cool Sweet Home Mine Rhodochrosite mineral specimen I had ordered and much to my surprise I find a hunk of asphalt. You can bet I was pi$$ed off and cursing up a storm. Took me a while to figure out what happened but the guy brought the mineral back and had a good laugh at my expense. He had good timing as I was about to call up the merchant and give him a piece of my mind. :)

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

that mosasaur tooth you found looks EXACTLY like a habenero pepper.

You sure it's not a filled burrow?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Since I'm coming down this weekend you think we could go find some more of that Asphaltoreflexus????

Since I'm coming down this weekend you think we could go find some more of that Asphaltoreflexus????

Barry, I know exactly where this piece came from, and we can find more. However, the UT geology dept. has asked to study this particular specimen. They said that, after some testing, it could be added to my collection.

This is going to look great next to my fossilized burrow collection! :drool:

This is going to look great next to my fossilized burrow collection! :drool:

Didn't know that fossilized Donkeys had ever been found yet.I'm sure the first findings were in the Trans Pecos :D

That's a ritual in my office. I work as a geek, and when any of us get anything shipped to us (computer, network switch, etc.) It's not unusual to open the box and find an old XT carcass, a fifteen year old hub, etc.

Apologies if some of you don't know what that stuff is. Now you know how I feel when you bandy about terms like "partial odontopleurid." :D

Some of the roads here in South Florida use shells as aggregate for their asphalt

Thats interesting living on the gulf you think they us it here but mever seen it.

Thats interesting living on the gulf you think they us it here but mever seen it.

just took this pic outside my front door 30 seconds ago.

actually I remember visiting relatives in North Carolina as a kid and being surprised that the aggregate in their asphalt wasn't white (because it was granite)

post-462-1250954941_thumb.jpg

Going out to look at the roads in the area closer later today. Travis might want a piece of that for his private collection.

At least your out there looking Big T!!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'