Albertosaurus Tooth ID

Nimravis

Years ago I acquired this tooth and I was going to put something on it to make a necklace for it but never did. I just found it sitting in a drawer and just want to verify it’s ID.

It was identified as an Albertosaurus tooth from the Cretaceous of Canada- no other info.

@Troodon Frank what do you think?

F335F32F-3B7F-4390-8298-455A208B1E4B.thumb.jpeg.f7778a32c1a9e506213b253684e984f1.jpegF5B36057-33A6-4DA6-8F8A-2BE4546080B6.thumb.jpeg.5fd96ed5b92068ac30b80947950c8436.jpegD5C75632-4437-4298-912A-28A19BB70868.thumb.jpeg.75e67fa50daff21cd80d856ab4330f4a.jpeg943CFDAB-D9EC-45A6-8011-498B019DEA22.thumb.jpeg.df39cbdb6afce0538e37127e2bcb3bc6.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Image from Buckley/Larson(publications as indicated/A.sarcophagus from Horseshoe Canyon):

huj.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

There are multiple genera of Tyrannosaurids known from the Cretaceous of Canada (Gorgosaurus, Daspletosaurus, Albertosaurus) and I don't think it's possible to distinguish them from each other if the location isn't known. Albertosaurus is from the Horseshoe canyon fm. 

• I found this Informative 3

Can't help, but it's a really nice tooth. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Can't help, but it's a really nice tooth. :)

Agreed :) love the serrations on it

Beautiful tooth!  Great serrations. Might be tough to identify it as Albertosaurus vs Gorgosaurus or Daspletosaurus but a wonderful tooth nonetheless!

5 hours ago, gigantoraptor said:

There are multiple genera of Tyrannosaurids known from the Cretaceous of Canada (Gorgosaurus, Daspletosaurus, Albertosaurus) and I don't think it's possible to distinguish them from each other if the location isn't known. Albertosaurus is from the Horseshoe canyon fm. 

Even knowing the locality doesn't really allow for a proper identification. Daspletosaurus is also known from the Horseshoe Canyon Formation. The problem with identifying teeth from these three genera is that the localities the fossils are found in overlap, so isolated finds can't be assigned to a genus.

Edit: The only way to get an accurate identification on a tyrannosaurid tooth from one of these three genera is to find it attached to a complete skeleton.

Edited by W. Harvey
  • I found this Informative 2

50 minutes ago, FossilSniper said:

That would be one heck of a necklace. ;) 

It was too small.

What a beauty, Ralph! :wub: 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

The seller didn’t mention at all if the tooth was found with other identifiable bones, skull,  etc ? 

Its all about location where was the tooth found and formation?  Canada is not a location that can help you other than saying  its an indeterminate Tyrannosaurid.

Very nice tooth nice add.

Only Albertosaurus is known from the Horseshoe Canyon fm.

• I found this Informative 2

Beautiful Tyrannosaurid tooth Ralph. I think you should display it, properly better than  it been hidden in a draw. :wub:

37 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Its all about location where was the tooth found and formation?  Canada is not a location that can help you other than saying  its an indeterminate Tyrannosaurid.

Very nice tooth nice add.

Only Albertosaurus is known from the Horseshoe Canyon fm.

Could not tell you that , acquired this tooth and others years ago ( pre-internet) in a trade for a single Mazon Creek fossil and that was the only info that I had on them. In addition, at that time, Dino teeth were hard to find.

23 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Beautiful Tyrannosaurid tooth Ralph. I think you should display it, properly better than  it been hidden in a draw. :wub:

I have many and cannot display everything Bobby.

46 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

I have many and cannot display everything Bobby.

Sorry I did not mean to tell you what to do. Still a nice tooth. 

11 hours ago, Nimravis said:

I acquired this tooth and I was going to put something on it to make a necklace for it but never did. It was too small.

I can put a nice sterling silver cap on it if You still want a pendent.

Nice tooth.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

12 minutes ago, ynot said:

I can put a nice sterling silver cap on it if You still want a pendent.

Nice tooth.

Thanks Tony, if I decide to do that, I will contact you.