sTamprockcoin

I stopped at a new spot - Mifflintown Formation [Silurian], I didn't pick up much but one that came home with me had this in it. It is the 1st Trilo that I have found in Blair county, though they are reported in the literature in several places. Is there enough here to make any further ID? it is tiny! 

Trilo bit.jpg

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

Very cool, now if I can figure out who owns the property that the road cut is on I might have some fun. :headscratch:

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

• 1 year later...
On 6/2/2018 at 2:59 PM, sTamprockcoin said:

It is the 1st Trilo that I have found in Blair county....

Howdy neighbor... I've just found my first Blair trilo, which the great folks here also ID'd as Dalmanites;   I found mine in a waste heap, but I'd be real interested to compare the matrix of my mine to what you found, to help figure out the source formation.   Mine is a soft, layered, beige to light brown colored non-fizzing siltstone.   The outter edges have weathered to dark color.  Freshly broken pieces show small bits of black material on the inside.  When I collected mine, the slab was fragile and broke apart.  I tried splitting some of the "waste" pieces but it was just so soft it crumbled rather than split.  There's some orange mineral banding, though I don't know if that was in situ or from the waste heap where I found it.   I didn't notice with the naked eye, but under a hand lens there seems to be some brachiopod and maybe a fenestral bryazoa in the slab.   Does that sound similar to your find's matrix?

On 6/3/2018 at 7:31 AM, sTamprockcoin said:

Very cool, now if I can figure out who owns the property that the road cut is on I might have some fun. :headscratch:

Buy a county plat map. It will tell you who owns it.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!