Bothriospondylus Tooth ??

paulyb135

Hello

please can anyone help ID this tooth? I’ve been told it’s a Bothriospondylus tooth however I know that there are lots of question marks regarding this genus.

let me know your thoughts.

paul 

6DA56F10-BA76-4FEC-96A5-A02E3CE536C1.jpeg

7B4BC57D-0F8D-45A5-9BD3-AC26E7B624D5.jpeg

A0B52DC6-85C3-4C27-9F85-B4E936B21A58.jpeg

It looks like the pictures I can google for Bothriospondylus tooth (I fixed your spelling), But I cannot claim any knowledge on the subject.

One who can is @Troodon

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Bothriospondylus is based on a single vertebra. It is considered a nomen dubium. 

“Bothriospondylus” madagascariensis is considered valid By Philip Mannion when it comes to the species name. But not the genus name. 

I refer you to a post by @Troodon regarding these teeth:

• I found this Informative 5

Nice  tooth Paul...can you be specific as to locality and formation where this tooth is from?

pyrtra53l.jpg

Edit With apologies to all concerned(but to Troodon,Hxmendoza in particular.)

3 hours ago, Troodon said:

Nice  tooth Paul...can you be specific as to locality and formation where this tooth is from?

Thanks Frank, not mine... yet!

ill find out some additional info and I’ll get back to you.

What I expected but the full identification of the formation is the Isalo III Formation.  Unfortunately not much has been described from that fauna other than the Titanosaurid, Lapparenentosaurus

If you look at my topic hxmendoza shows in the above post these form of teeth should be identified as Eusauropoda indet.

In my post Mannions paper shows this chart to clarify the identification of Bothriospondylus teeth from different countries.  

Screenshot_20180606-034414.thumb.jpg.6828e8f2a364c0800c5ac9b160ca1a16.jpg

I dont believe your tooth is the Lapparenentosaurus since its spatulate in form and matches what is shown in the paper orginally referred to as Bothriospondylus. 

Screenshot_20180606-034815.thumb.jpg.260533cf850791880e974d07c29be5a1.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

45 minutes ago, Troodon said:

What I expected but the full identification of the formation is the Isalo III Formation.  Unfortunately not much has been described from that fauna other than the Titanosaurid, Lapparenentosaurus

If you look at my topic hxmendosa shows in the above post these form of teeth should be identified as Eusauropoda indet.

In my post Mannions paper shows this chart to clarify the identification of Bothriospondylus teeth from different countries.  

Screenshot_20180606-034414.thumb.jpg.6828e8f2a364c0800c5ac9b160ca1a16.jpg

I dont believe your tooth is the Lapparenentosaurus since its spatulate in form and matches what is shown in the paper orginally referred to as Bothriospondylus. 

Screenshot_20180606-034815.thumb.jpg.260533cf850791880e974d07c29be5a1.jpg

Thank you for this info! Really helpful. Think I’m going to bite the bullet and purchase this tooth as it’s pretty unique and I don’t believe they come around often