Large partial carnivore mammal skull id ?

FairTheHair

I found this lying partially buried in a seasonal creek bank.  In northern Nevada.  I continue to search as many areas of the internet for info and have come up with zero.  (I originally thought it a large mountain lion...but I no longer think this is what it is. )  The size is approx. 12" x 13".  The eye orbits were almost large enough for my 17yr old daughter to put her fist into.    There were no teeth  attached to the remaining skull.  It appears to have had it's face smashed in ......info appreciated.

unnamed-1.jpg

I think it is from a wild boar.

I'd love to see an image of the underside (and other views as well).

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow,  I'll go looking again for a similar.  The eyes were very top side orientated.  Literally straight forward if looking at you.  Very dense, heavy bone too.  I took a photo and left it there, not knowing if it was a fossil or not and having just spoken to a Fish and Game warden, was hoping he would find it on his way back around.  It was the brain case that had me so curious.   

FairTheHair...

Welcome to The Fossil Forum!

What appears to be the 'eyes' in your picture are actually the part of the skull behind the eyes of the animal.  As far as I can tell, the actual orbits (eye sockets) are missing along with the front of the skull.  It is possible that it is a wild boar skull but I would have to see a view from the side to be more confident with that identification.  Too bad that there weren't any teeth attached.  They would have been a dead give-away.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

6 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Might be the back part of a horse skull.

That looks better.

I over-focused on the zygomatic arches, and went down the wrong path.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks you guys for taking a look at this piece !

Seems everyone has a point.  I'm still looking into your comments.  I wish there was some huge visual site from which to compare things like this to......hummm, so where do all our tax dollars go.  Even the Smithsonian is not accessible in terms of photos for the average person.......don't we pay for that ??  LOL !

Just for fun, I made an overlay for comparison. The angle of your skull is a bit different, but it sure does look like the back part of a horse skull as suggested. 

B97AFC1E-0642-458D-8226-F801B11C06B1.jpeg.8a86266701388239b3c4098714265be7.jpeg.a5c5ad580ba2b73df775bca1b7d7bce6.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

That is the coolest!   Thank you for overlay...looks like you are right.  It must have been a very large and stout horse even when compared to the equine skull you used for the comparison.  (Is that skull a donkey or similar? Very narrow nasal bone...)

Thank you , thank you!

10 hours ago, FairTheHair said:

That is the coolest!   Thank you for overlay...looks like you are right.  It must have been a very large and stout horse even when compared to the equine skull you used for the comparison.  (Is that skull a donkey or similar? Very narrow nasal bone...)

Thank you , thank you!

You're welcome. I used the photo that Al Dente posted, so I don't know more than 'equine' about it.  Glad I could help :)

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png