Ammonite ID requests

Dpaul7

Hello!

I am NOT making much progress with this one. I still get a bit confused working with these!  This piece is from Morocco - and a large one! I'd be thrilled to get to Genus - but Order & Family would be GREAT!  Sadly,  My AMMONITE book has not yet arrived and the material I DO have is not helping me much.  (I read... THIS suture pattern is indicative of THIS type, but it can also have these OTHER patterns).  All help appreciated!  Still learning a lot from the posts I am reading, and I enjoy this forum very much!

Large Morocco Ammonitic Ammonite 1.JPG

Large Morocco Ammonitic Ammonite 2.JPG

Large Morocco Ammonitic Ammonite 3.JPG

Large Morocco Ammonitic Ammonite 4.JPG

Large Morocco Ammonitic Ammonite 5.JPG

My best guess would be Harpoceras for this one. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

would venture as far as to say that it's a Harpoceras falcifer.

WOW!  That is more than I expected...  Many thanks to all!!! I wish we had some Ammonoids to find near me!

On 8/6/2018 at 9:53 PM, Ludwigia said:

I would venture as far as to say that it's a Harpoceras falcifer.

+ 1

Regards,

Bathollovian

I was going with the description from the seller - but yours REALLY seems a match for the material the fossil consists of!

12 minutes ago, Dpaul7 said:

I was going with the description from the seller - but yours REALLY seems a match for the material the fossil consists of!

Yes, the iron staining, the matrix and the preservation are conclusive for me.

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you.  I have changed the location where I could.  The seller may have mixed up the signs for it; they WERE moving a lot of things around when I arrived.

Your specimen is a beauty!

An odd coincidence... the piece was BOUGHT in Somerset County, Pennsylvania, USA!

12 minutes ago, Dpaul7 said:

An odd coincidence... the piece was BOUGHT in Somerset County, Pennsylvania, USA!

That is very odd! If you come to catalogue it, it's from the Beacon Limestone Formation, near Ilminster, Somerset. One of the densest concentrations of ammonite fossils you're likely to find anywhere.

• I found this Informative 2

Many thanks!  I have changed my personal catalogue and label.  Working to re-organize my fossil room!  Again, many thanks for your identification help!