digit

Sue must have been a disobedient dinosaur as she's been sent to her room. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

P6077855.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

I feel a bit sad that Sue has been moved 'upstairs'. 

But this new exhibit is, well,  new, and will attract new visitors and people who've been before, so that's good. 

Cast it may be, but it's still hugely impressive, quite, quite awesome. 

Get 'em in and they might learn something, in between the selfies, and they'll surely go and see poor Sue as well. :)

Thanks for posting. 

Xiphactinus

I'm with you...I want to see the real fossils rather than casts whenever possible. That being said, the average "Joe Tourist", the people who keep the museum afloat in $$ don't see the difference and don't really care. Us fossil nerds will keep Sue company in her new room.

Auspex

They are following a well-worn path. Courtesy of Andrew Carnegie, plaster replicas of Dippy the Diplodocus stand in the national museums of Germany, Italy, France, Austria, Russia, Spain, Argentina, and Mexico. The awe of their imposing size suffers not a bit at being casts, and millions more people can experience that.

deutscheben

I have always been disappointed that the Field Museum follows a "one dinosaur in the main hall" policy- first the Gorgosaurus, then Brachiosaurus, then Sue, and now Maximo, but never more than one at a time. I love the way the main hall in Berlin Museum für Naturkunde looks, with all those mighty sauropods together, and the hall in the Field Museum is definitely big enough- it would give a great sense of scale to have them side by side (although I suppose it risks making Sue look small!).

I'm still excited to see the new mount though, and any changes they make to Sue. Was your visit after they had repainted the titanosaur? 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/museums/ct-ent-maximo-field-repainted-0601-story.html

ynot

Nice Ken, thanks for sharing.