Megalodons in Virginia

kirkjeremiah23

I'm heading to Richmond Virginia tomorrow and will be there for 5 weeks for work. Wondering where are some good spots to find some shark teeth and hopefully some nice Megalodons. Have any of you guys had any lunch over that way? Any information is much appreciated 

6 minutes ago, kirkjeremiah23 said:

I'm heading to Richmond Virginia tomorrow and will be there for 5 weeks for work. Wondering where are some good spots to find some shark teeth and hopefully some nice Megalodons. Have any of you guys had any lunch over that way? Any information is much appreciated 

I've never had any lunch in Richmond, but I here the diner on 55th and Broadway is pretty good.:rofl:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

4 minutes ago, caldigger said:

I've never had any lunch in Richmond, but I here the diner on 55th and Broadway is pretty good.:rofl:

I will definitely check it out. I guess i didn't clarify. I planning on heading to the coast on at least a couple weekends while down there. Any really good spots along the coast.

9 minutes ago, kirkjeremiah23 said:

I will definitely check it out. I guess i didn't clarify. I planning on heading to the coast on at least a couple weekends while down there. Any really good spots along the coast.

24 minutes ago, kirkjeremiah23 said:

Have any of you guys had any lunch over that way? Any information is much appreciated 

Doren's pulling your leg.  :P 

Your auto-correct probably got hung up on what I assume you meant as "luck".  ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

:doh!: I just saw the auto correct. Either a

Way I will be hunting for fossils or good eats!

24 minutes ago, kirkjeremiah23 said:

:doh!: I just saw the auto correct. Either a

Way I will be hunting for fossils or good eats!

:dinothumb:...please give us a post if you happen to find some stuff.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Seems like Felgates Creek has Neogene shark teeth lying around, so the possibility of finding a meg there is most likely plausible. It does say that shark teeth are rather scarce, so I think you'd have to be hella lucky to find a meg. I'd be happy even with just a small sand tiger or two. (Good news: fossil bivalves (and other shells) are plentiful there! They're cooler than shark teeth IMO ;))

https://english.fossiel.net/sites/fossil_site.php?plaats=680

Good luck!

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

I believe westmoreland state park has Miocene sharks teeth, Megalodons are therefore there, though I agree you have to be “hella lucky”. Megs are not super common in MD/VA at least in public and accessible areas. I’d set your sights a bit lower and be happy if you do find a meg.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nothing public in the Richmond area.  James has some good spots but the entire river where you can find megs etc is private property.  Chippokes State Park at the south end of the river has mostly shells but an occasional tooth is found there.  Best bet is Westmoreland State Park and Stratford Hall.  Both are about a 1.5 hour drive from Richmond and both have small beaches you can hunt where megs are found.  You'll have a tough time in summer beating the crowds to the good stuff though and also tides have been running very high so not much beach to hunt this time of year esp. with the rains.   If you go with lower expectations (a handful of smaller teeth) you'll likely accomplish your goal though.

7 hours ago, Woopaul5 said:

Could always make the trip to Calvert Cliffs 

After doing some research I have decided to hit the cliffs this weekend. Wish me luck!

3 hours ago, kirkjeremiah23 said:

After doing some research I have decided to hit the cliffs this weekend. Wish me luck!

Weekends get crowded depending on location. Brownies (bay front park) charges $18 and flag ponds nature park I believe is $10. If you go to flag ponds show up early because they close prior to dark and it’s about a mile walk from the beach to the parking lot. Pay attention to the tides for some locations but at flag ponds it has little effect. I’ll pm you for some additional info.