I have no idea what this fossil is... any ideas?

dbarshlomo

Hi All,

An acquaintance of mine noticed this fossil, embedded in a step stone in his parents’ garden, after many years it sat there unacknowledged...

I don’t have a lot of information about it, but what I do know is that it’s in Israel, the stone’s origin is most likely from a strip mine 5km west of Jerusalem (Kfar Shaul), the total length of the fossil is 6.7 cm (~2.64 inches) and that it’s a limestone with a reddish hue… unfortunately that’s about it.

Personally, I’m not even able to determine whether this is a fish or not… but I’m definitely curious…

Can anyone help me identify it or at least narrow the options a bit?

Thank you!

31947488_1795092933882392_3912636157782917120_o.jpg

There are lots of vertebrae and the whole ensemble looks fishy, to me. :)

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I agree with fish. Looks like part of the front of the animal.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

About an hour away a quarry in Ramallah produces Cretaceous era fish, I’d reckon this might be from there. It’s a beauty for sure!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason