garyc

I found this jaw bone today on the Brazos River in Texas. It’s unlike any other I’ve found, I’m wondering if it’s croc or gator maybe? The bone seems to have the pock  marked look I’ve seen in pics of jaws of those critters.

image.jpg

image.jpg

5 minutes ago, garyc said:

croc or gator maybe?

Yeah, definitely. Sorry I can’t say what type.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

26 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Yeah, definitely. Sorry I can’t say what type.

Thanks! I really don’t know if we had crocs around here but I’d love to know which this is!

I agree... the texture (pock marks) and the two large teeth together scream croc.  What is the age of this thing?  

35 minutes ago, jpc said:

I agree... the texture (pock marks) and the two large teeth together scream croc.  What is the age of this thing?  

Almost all fossils found here are terrestrial pleistocene. Sometimes, I find some miocene or eocene material from much higher up river. I've found a few osteoderms, but never any teeth or bones of gator or croc, so this is new to me!

10 hours ago, garyc said:

Thanks! I really don’t know if we had crocs around here but I’d love to know which this is!

This article says they occurred as far north as Missouri during the Pleistocene.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

6 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

This article says they occurred as far north as Missouri during the Pleistocene.

29 minutes ago, jpc said:

Crocodilian... but I would call it Alligator.

Thanks!