Found these fossils on the shore of Lake Ontario (New York)

Padriactheprince

I recently found these fossils in a ditch of a hay field on my grandmothers marina on the shores of Lake Ontario. Any information on them would be welcomed :) thank you!

79FC1125-523B-4163-9182-BCD586D5765C.jpeg

Well, the spiral one is a gastropod. The other thing looks like a trilobite, but not one that I'm familiar with. I'll try to do a little more research. What locality were these found? I don't need an exact location, but Lake Ontario has a lot of New York touching it, a better idea of where will help to narrow down the possibilities.

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

Thanks for the info! This was found on the shores just outside of the town of Cape Vincent, you can see Fox Island from the shore. 

So I think that's the Trenton Group in that area, Rockland limestone perhaps? Which would be middle Ordovician. I didn't notice it before, but there are actually two gastropods right next to one another facing opposite directions, that's pretty cool! I have no idea what that trilobite might be, but I'm quite curious. While I continue to research on my own, I am going to call in the big gun—perhaps Scott can offer some direction on this one, @piranha. Not even 100% sure it's a trilobite. I see reasons to think it is, as well as reasons to think it's not. 

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

1 minute ago, piranha said:

Yes, Middle Ordovician.  Encrinuroides sp.

IMG.png.d04a01f67b99106b63ca5d476992fb5d.png

You are a living encyclopedia. I don't know how you do that so quickly. I hadn't even successfully located a paper describing the trilobites from that formation yet! 

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Also, looks like 2 gastropods.  Nice find. 

Thanks for posting it. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice little trilo-bit! The Gastropods remind me of Hormotoma but take this with a grain of NaCl as I’m no snail expert.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason