Not interested in buying ... it’s just to educate myself. Real or fake?  I think it looks pretty questionable, but maybe I’m wrong.  Not really sure here.   39CED46C-57A0-44A0-B6B1-70F8089C1239.thumb.jpeg.1d262e1a72e6fdcdeb07f43d2e3cf25b.jpeg . 

705A3EAF-02DF-45A6-858A-6FB4FAD736D7.jpeg

073E8F0C-EDB5-44CF-9F87-F42A6F153EA1.jpeg

C836B132-7B38-4216-A233-DF2C9020EF11.jpeg

6A900EA8-BE0E-416F-895D-4A1330718988.jpeg

B29E5769-7404-48EC-BA48-37D04F4829F1.jpeg

2 minutes ago, ynot said:

Looks like an unprepped piece.

And so people usually paint over these right ?

1 minute ago, Masp said:

And so people usually paint over these right ?

It would be prepped before painting. Then painted to fill in missing parts, and hide messed up bones.

Typically they are butchered when prepped. 

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Yeah, looks unprepared.  When being prepared, they usually grind off the covering rock to expose the bones (and usually grind the bones down too much).  It's incomplete, but is kind of an interesting specimen...

I don’t know how expensive it is, but it would be worth buying and sending it to an actual prep expert. Would be better than most on the market that way.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, aplomado said:

Yeah, looks unprepared.  When being prepared, they usually grind off the covering rock to expose the bones (and usually grind the bones down too much).  It's incomplete, but is kind of an interesting specimen...

So basically the typical Keichousaurs online have it’s defining features because specimens like this have it’s exposed layer grinded down a bit to reveal ita features better in its bones? 

Does anybody know a good prep expert, or someone who specializes in these? Also how much would prep for something like this usually run more or less?

55 minutes ago, Masp said:

Does anybody know a good prep expert, or someone who specializes in these? Also how much would prep for something like this usually run more or less?

@Ptychodus04 is good at that.

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

It's a genuine one, unprepped and incomplete.  It seems to me that this is a hard slab and so prepping would not be easy.

16 hours ago, Masp said:

So basically the typical Keichousaurs online have it’s defining features because specimens like this have it’s exposed layer grinded down a bit to reveal ita features better in its bones? 

Yes.

Looks like this one is missing the bones of one hand and the end of the tail.

This particular eBay seller has unprepared specimens regularly (never bought from them though).

2 minutes ago, aplomado said:

Yes.

Looks like this one is missing the bones of one hand and the end of the tail.

This particular eBay seller has unprepared specimens regularly (never bought from them though).

I’m still on the fence about it. I’m definitely interested though. 

IMO real one but poorly preserved: glued, abraded bones, missing hand-bones, missing biggest piece of tail and missing a part of the cervical spine.

And as already said seems to be in the very hard layer so prepping will be hard hours-taking job and therefore expensive.

IMO this one is not worth to prep, because is takes more (money, time) than it is worth.