BLT

Could anyone tell me if this is some type of fossil, bone or rock? I found it in a creek in middle Tennessee. Thanks! 

CF9DB369-DEC0-4E6D-8EE7-55E3DE5E9FF3.jpeg

7750E132-5B19-4576-8CA9-9EB0AB330DE1.jpeg

D3FBF5C1-7595-41AF-A835-31D74CE764C0.jpeg

196389B4-4F16-4AE9-BCB3-F388179B701D.jpeg

1B0DFDC3-D32D-4528-B4FA-509D397EA7B7.jpeg

722A3A09-7BC2-44C9-857A-E06F0C735872.jpeg

C8D3B8CE-B34C-4B44-9D74-F8A2FAE6CF68.jpeg

I'm seeing some texture in the second image in the middle of the more circular area. Could you do a closeup of that? At the moment, it looks a bit like a coral (such as Hexagonaria).

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thanks for the closeups. :) Hm. I am now doubting my initial coral guess, and may be leaning more to ynot's assessment that this may just be a worn sedimentary rock. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Standing on their own rocks like this may look as if they formed in some weird hard to imagine way, but inclusions like this which are more durable than the country rock are actually quite common. 

All look the same to Me, concretions in sandstone.

Often porous rock will have areas within it where minerals have concreted which makes that area of the rock a little harder and more resistant to erosion.

• I found this Informative 3

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

It may have been a corner that broke off in between larger blocks of the lighter colored rocks that just happened to stay with the layer above or beneath it.

There might be ichnofabrics and trace fossils in your specimens, but it's hard to say, also there is the possibility of geological creations, as Tony suggested.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library