Break Prevention

FossilsAnonymous

Hello All,

I have had some trouble recently with my fossils breaking. A few of my invertebrates have started to fall apart and collapse, and they have barely been touched. Can you guys recommend some ways to preserve them for me in the future? I have heard of soaking them in Clear Elmer's Glue but I would like to know other methods and maybe go a little more in depth on them.

Thanks, FA

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

The techniques vary with the nature of the material, but generally the friable fossils are soaked in a conslidant.

Here is a long discussion on the subject: LINK

Member Harry Pristis has posted some detailed and authoritative how-tos also.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Go to @Harry Pristis and pick the “about me” section. Before you do that, I’d soak it to get the salt out. I’ve never had a problem with these bones crumbling except for larger pieces (which I know yours is), but they will be fine as long as you handle them carefully. So it’s up to you whether to do it or not. If you do consolidate and use acetone, be safe with it (use gloves, outside, no open flame, sunglasses can’t hurt, etc). Acetone is extremely flammable and it evaporates quickly into fumes that are not great for the lungs. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason