NJ fossil hunting

Jarsnakes

Hello everyone I'm new at fossil hunting. I've been on 3 solo hunts. I found about 20 shark teeth. All small ones from sand shark, crow, goblin. And also other fossils which I have to get checked out.  Not sure what it is.. but have anyone heard about possible megalodon teeth in NJ ? THANKS!!

7 minutes ago, Jarsnakes said:

Not sure what it is.. but have anyone heard about possible megalodon teeth in NJ

Depends where you hunt I would think but NJ will mostly be Cretaceous with sharks teeth, so Otodus (sensu stricto) is a possibility. Would have to see pictures.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

11 minutes ago, Jarsnakes said:

Hello everyone I'm new at fossil hunting. I've been on 3 solo hunts. I found about 20 shark teeth. All small ones from sand shark, crow, goblin. And also other fossils which I have to get checked out.  Not sure what it is.. but have anyone heard about possible megalodon teeth in NJ ? THANKS!!

Welcome to TFF!

Got pictures?

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

This to mean looks like some sort of  Vertebrae or some type of bone. I found this at big creek preserve in NJ

Edited by Jarsnakes

1 hour ago, Jarsnakes said:

My finds just in 3 trips . 99% of the stuff here is found in Big brook Preserve 

Nice haul. Looks like some nice teeth and a cool belemnite.

1 hour ago, Jarsnakes said:

This to mean looks like some sort of  Vertebrae or some type of bone.

Need additional pictures from other angles to make a determination on this.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I took the liberty of cropping and brightening your photos

15312480945612398903791748779521.jpg.4696eafdabc3ea260c62c59bd6bb8067.jpg

15312472851237140159758220740644.jpg.72689d258e175eaf2b4cc60d9d741373.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The first item is a rock. The shark teeth are most of the common types of Cretaceous teeth found here. However, there is a contaminant upper Negaprion eurybathrodon (Lemon) or possibly Carcharhinus sp. shark tooth at the bottom right of the pic, below the anterior Squalicorax lindstromi tooth. Contaminants occur when people dump fossils from other localities in order to supply the place with fossils. This one looks like it came from Shark River.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

17 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

I took the liberty of cropping and brightening your photos

15312480945612398903791748779521.jpg.4696eafdabc3ea260c62c59bd6bb8067.jpg

15312472851237140159758220740644.jpg.72689d258e175eaf2b4cc60d9d741373.jpg

Thanks haha bad lighting in my room. I'll get different angles when I get home. 

16 hours ago, josephstrizhak said:

The first item is a rock. The shark teeth are most of the common types of Cretaceous teeth found here. However, there is a contaminant upper Negaprion eurybathrodon (Lemon) or possibly Carcharhinus sp. shark tooth at the bottom right of the pic, below the anterior Squalicorax lindstromi tooth. Contaminants occur when people dump fossils from other localities in order to supply the place with fossils. This one looks like it came from Shark River.

Wait people take fossils from my place and  dump them at a different site??

I don't know what you mean by "your place," but sometimes people will seed a popular section of stream with more fossils. Sometimes those fossils are from a different age/location and are called contaminants. This one is not a contaminant as you said you found it in shark river, and not Big Brook (which is where I assumed the seed tooth was from as it was mixed in with the Cretaceous teeth).

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

FOwler's 1911 publication on the fossils of NJ depicts C. megalodon teeth from NJ (listed as C. polygyrus.

PS< this publication is available online.

Yes, "megalodons"  (more precisely, of the megalodon lineage) have been found in NJ. I've seen a few photos in years back from the Miocene exposures near Shark River, NJ

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

If your teeth are all Big Brook, head on over to: http://fossilsofnj.com/

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

To take a step back real quick - could you post a close-up of the lower right corner. Megalodon and Otodus once believed to be here based on former studies have been revised and at this point, there is no record of them in the NJ Cretaceous (that I am aware of). 

It looks like that tooth is serrated from your picture. That would lead me also to think contamination but I would like a better look.

To clarify - both Megalodon and Otodus have been found in New Jersey, but not at any Cretaceous site. I just saw your post regarding 'one tooth' from Shark River - I assume that's the one you found there.

The only sharks of the Otodus (Carcharocles) lineage that have been found in New Jersey are O. obliquus, O. aksuaticus, O. auriculatus, and O. chubutensis. Megalodon isn't present in NJ.

On 7/11/2018 at 4:28 PM, fossilselachian said:

FOwler's 1911 publication on the fossils of NJ depicts C. megalodon teeth from NJ (listed as C. polygyrus.

PS< this publication is available online.

3 hours ago, josephstrizhak said:

The only sharks of the Otodus (Carcharocles) lineage that have been found in New Jersey are O. obliquus, O. aksuaticus, O. auriculatus, and O. chubutensis. Megalodon isn't present in NJ.

@josephstrizhak I also thought that C. megalodon wasn't found in NJ but I did look through the Fowler publication, and sure enough, they are reported.

Just now, pinkus said:

@josephstrizhak I also thought that C. megalodon wasn't found in NJ but I did look through the Fowler publication, and sure enough, they are reported.

I don't think something from 1911 is accurate any longer.

On 7/11/2018 at 9:25 AM, Jarsnakes said:

Wait people take fossils from my place and  dump them at a different site??

20180713_160957.jpg