Mammals and pterosaurus teeth

MiseriKing

The dealer has on hand are samples of the teeth of mammals and a pterosaurus teeth. Whether the identification was given correctly. In the future I want to buy these samples. Are they worthy of collection? Thanks.

проба1.JPG

проба2.JPG

проба3.JPG

проба4.JPG

проба5.JPG

проба6.JPG

4 hours ago, MiseriKing said:

Whether the identification was given correctly. In the future I want to buy these samples. Are they worthy of collection? Thanks.

It is hard to tell though the packaging. But my rules for buying are as following

1. Most important has the fossil got an good location. Do your research. Without a location I don’t normally buy.

2. Does the specimen look right against the ID and how complete is it , do your research.

3. Price, have I got good value for my money, how rare is it. Do your research.

4. How much do I want it.

I hope it helps, I  do really like the mammal teeth and their packaging but like I said can’t help with an idea. I am not shore about the Pterodactylus . 

All the best Bobby 

• I found this Informative 3

As Bobby already pointed out, these photos are no much to go on. But most of these fossils seem fine and of fairly decent quality.

I will say that some of the information on that Pterosaur tooth is wrong.

The Kem Kem beds in Morocco and Algeria contains 3 formations. And Tegana formation is not one of those. It contains the Akrabou, Aoufous and Ifezouane formations. Most dinosaur and pterosaur fossils are found in the Aoufous and Ifezouane formations. But when it's unknown it's best to say the fossil just comes from the Kem Kem beds. These fossils are Cenomanian in age, which is part of the Late Cretaceous.

Though many use this term, I'm not a fan of using the word Pterodactyl as a catch-all term. It is a Pterosaur tooth but the term Pterodactyl can be misleading because this animal is not very closely related to Pterodactylus, which is one type of Pterosaur. Instead this should be labeled as Siroccopteryx maroccensis, which is the only known toothed pterosaur in the Kem Kem beds.

• I found this Informative 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

47 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Siroccopteryx maroccensis, which is the only known toothed pterosaur in the Kem Kem beds.

Though this may change and would assume there is only one type. When it comes to fossil teeth, I typically don’t use the “only one described” rule, I use the morphology.  I’d label it Pterosauria sp. unless it fits the description of Siroccopteryx.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

Though this may change and would assume there is only one type. When it comes to fossil teeth, I typically don’t use the “only one described” rule, I use the morphology.  I’d label it Pterosauria sp. unless it fits the description of Siroccopteryx.

To my knowledge there are no Pterosaur teeth with a significant difference in morphology from the Kem Kem beds. All the teeth I've seen seem to fit with Siroccopteryx.

Though I will say that that photo isn't sufficient to judge if that is really a Pterosaur tooth.

2 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

To my knowledge there are no Pterosaur teeth with a significant difference in morphology from the Kem Kem beds. All the teeth I've seen seem to fit with Siroccopteryx.

Though I will say that that photo isn't sufficient to judge if that is really a Pterosaur tooth.

Wikipedia says (though sometimes it is wrong) that Xericeps, Alanqa, and other indeterminate remains have been found in the kem kem. It is not my subject, but I think there should always be a dur sense of uncertainty.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

Wikipedia says (though sometimes it is wrong) that Xericeps, Alanqa, and other indeterminate remains have been found in the kem kem. It is not my subject, but I think there should always be a dur sense of uncertainty.

Yes both of those appear in the Kem Kem beds. But both of those are completely toothless. There are also rumoured to be Pteranodontid and Tapejarid remains in the Kem Kem beds. But both of those are also toothless families.

• I found this Informative 2

Agreed with LT I have yet to see any other pterosaur tooth from the kem kem beds that looks different either from the Aoufous or Ifezouane formation, I do however see a lot of fish teeth being sold as pterosaur however so that is one you need to look out for a be careful, sadly I don't know all that much about mammals, but for the kem kem tooth i would most certainly be asking for better pictures and would bear in mind that it's more than likely the riker case for this tooth is worth more than the fossil it's self.

• I found this Informative 1

Thank for  information. Very interesting. The price of a pterosaur tooth is about $ 20.

Inside the packaging, with no better pictures, there's no way to convince yourself that it really is a genuine pterosaur's tooth. In Kem Kem's beds in Morocco, tons of fish teeth are being sold as if they were Pterosaurs' teeth! So as long as there are no better pictures, I can not particularly convince myself that it's a Pterosaur's tooth. A great example of what I'm talking about are these teeth from Fish Aidachar Pankowskii;

image.png.750cf36908a48d4d34d939a9cb957609.png

And many greedy salesmen sell tons of these teeth as legitimate pterosaurs!

So my advice, is you do not buy anything that is hermetically sealed inside a package so you can not see all the details! Sellers are often quick to label, but it can take forever to prove what they label!

And yes, although not yet scientifically proven, there are rumors that Kem Kem may have existed more than one species of toothed Pterosaur.

Great example of what I'm talking about are these two legitimate pterosaur teeth, which are completely different from each other. Both were discovered in Taouz, in the East of Morocco (Kem Kem Basin);

image.png.2a593c5aeb748aaa456a5a7a324aa017.png

image.png.be367e02cb7e22366c12b13b237143ae.png

These two teeth are deposited in my private collection.

In the Cretaceous period, more specifically in the Cenomanian, Pterosaurs had little or no heterodontics in general, so I am particularly convinced that in the future 2 or even more toothed Pterosaur species will be discovered in Kem Kem beds. The fish as food were plentiful, so in my opinion, difficult even, is to have to believe that there was only one species of toothed pterosaur in that region!

• I found this Informative 1

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG