Marston Magna (marble) Ammonites

hollynotsowell

Hi there all. I was recently luck enough to buy an old collection of Marston Magna marble ammonites. These are legendary in fossil folk-law as no one really knows where they come from. I am wondering if anyone out there has any information on these. There does not seem to be any info on the web apart from a dealer who thinks he has the only examples in existence. Any info about books/ articles or other collection greatly received!

Congratulations on your acquisition! The "Marston Marble" truly is an enduring legend.

The feature story in the July 2009 issue of "Fossil News" (Volume 15, No. 7) is devoted to the subject; it is a fascinating, well-researched 5 page article.

The "lost source" of the Marston Marble is the village of Marston Magna, in the county of Somerset (south-western England). Try Googling "Marston Magna" fossils...

The magazine is published in Boulder, Colorado; perhaps you can obtain a copy from them?

Email: lynne@fossilnews.com

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!