Oddly shaped rock or fossil?

BLT

I’m hoping someone will let me know if this is “just” a rock, or possibly a coprolite of some sort? It seems to have different textures and layers. Thanks!

71C1FE5F-956B-470F-981F-9E7593496E66.jpeg

11ABB55F-97FD-4BAE-8A97-C9226FA3D95F.jpeg

79495F3C-3ECA-4875-95CB-0775BEDA2CEB.jpeg

0F4F5BD1-75E3-4C51-9531-93C5C55AD53A.jpeg

61E89987-6040-452B-BBE2-921B75ACEF0C.jpeg

14721341-0CF0-4760-ABFA-3FABA7676A84.jpeg

F1BC7FD4-B0F9-497A-854B-41CDBC9C7AEC.jpeg

3010970D-91A0-40D4-83C4-028E8A296EC1.jpeg

53CAB1D7-7774-4A67-85AC-CCE75B65D75E.jpeg

17CE05F5-761F-470F-83F8-734B9549C78A.jpeg

Look for eaten fragments, bits of bone or teeth, shell, or seeds. I haven't found any but I've been looking up how to tell if I might have some for when I do. 

• I found this Informative 3

@GeschWhat, I am new to fossil hunting, so I’m still trying to learn all I can about the fossils in my area. I have read that many early Devonian fossils can be found in  middle Tennessee. I enjoy wading around the creek that borders my property, hoping to find something interesting. My kids seem to think I’m a bit obsessed with searching for fossils lately. Lol! 

• I found this Informative 2

6 minutes ago, BLT said:

I’m a bit obsessed

Join the crowd!:D

• I found this Informative 1

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

10 minutes ago, BLT said:

My kids seem to think I’m a bit obsessed with searching for fossils lately. Lol! 

They may view you in a different light, especially if they know you are seeking out old poop. :P

• I found this Informative 3

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

10 minutes ago, BLT said:

I can just imagine the horrified look on my daughter-in-law’s face if she knew what I was really hoping to find!:hearty-laugh:@caldigger

I love it! 

Here is something I see that I find interesting. The reason I ask about other fossils in the area is because location is really important when looking for fossil feces. I don't think I have any Devonian coprolites, so I'm not all that familiar with the time period. I see something in your sample that looks a little like ganoid fish scale impressions. I have seen this a lot in coprolites. The problem is, nature can be tricky. Many times something will look like something it is not. Shape wise this could be a coprolite. If there was actually a fish scale in it, I would feel more confident saying it was a coprolites. If I knew the other type of body fossils found in the area (vertebrae, scales, teeth, bones, etc.) it would provide insight regarding the type of animals that lived there. 

C-imprints.jpg

C-scale-impression.jpg

I think most of the coprolites  found in the Tenn. area are from the Cretaceous  West Central area near Selma, Savannah.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

mine looks like a blue-green tapered dog T**d about 3" long :rolleyes:

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks